• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IntelBurnTest xtreme stress mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morik

Registered
So, I see that v2.5 of IntelBurnTest has this 'xtreme stress mode'.

But, it locks my computer up after a few seconds, every time.
At first I thought this meant I wasn't stable. but then I tried it with everything at stock, and it still locks up after a few seconds.

Has anyone had any success using this testing mode?
Does the fact that it locks up at stock indicate I have any issues?
(I've run 'max stress' (8 threads, use all available ram) overnight with something like 200 runs without issue with my bclk up at 200, so I'm guessing not, but wanted to ask just in case)

My brother and I tested our cpu's with those same settings you mentioned and we're stable. Stress it with orthos or prime for a few hours, if it seems stable then go with it.

ED:I forgot to mention that, I've seen it run stable with definate unstability. When my brother lowered his imc's he got stable first time, but windows was laggish so I told him it ain't good, then upped the volt, few seconds of testing proved instability, then upped, seemed stable then an hour later it said FAIL, upped again and finally got stability.

ED: I also don't see XTREME mode on mine, might be a bugged feature, but you did say "(I've run 'max stress' (8 threads, use all available ram) overnight with something like 200 runs without issue with my bclk up at 200, so I'm guessing not, but wanted to ask just in case) I'm also going with the assumption that your rig is fine.

Last edited:
Works fine on mine, beyond the fact that my CPU will hit TjMax in about 15 seconds lol

Thankfully temps don't get that high running any real game, or even when running Vantage or Prime95.

@SO2: Xtreme mode can be activated by right clicking on the start button and selecting it.

@GotNoRice: Hmm... I wonder my I lock up with everything @ stock after a few seconds.
I haven't noticed any other instability... I just finished an 8 hour run of:
5.2 gigs of RAM used
8 threads
150 runs
4.11 GHz, 196 bclk

I've done a few other overnight runs with other settings too...

Are you on windows 7 x64? Maybe there is an issue with xtreme mode there? (Its what I'm using)

I'm even more curious now...

I'm on Win 7 and use IntelBurn Maximum all the time for stress testing. If your system locks up there is definitely an issue be it software or hardware. You can remove IntelBurn and re-download and try again. Maybe your first download is corrupt?

Beenthere: I'm talking about Xtreme Burning mode (enabled by right clicking on the start button)

I have no problems at all with 'max' stress on 8 threads--my problem only crops up when I enable xtreme burning mode.

(Wasn't sure from your reply whether we were on the same page)

OK. Sorry misunderstood your original post. No problem here with the "Xtreme test mode" either so yeah you have an issue to resolve.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on how I could go about diagnosing what my problem is, given that it locks up on stock settings? (No BSOD after multiple tries, just freezes consistently within a few seconds...)

Any of the people who aren't having issues with it--are you on the same version & OS I am?

I'm using ITB version 2.5, on windows 7 64-bit home premium.

System Specs (let me know if there is anything I left out which you need)

Case: Coolermaster HAF-X. Optional top fan installed (coolermaster megaflow 200mm). Optional GPU duct installed (w/ 88 CFM yate loon fan)
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (D0)
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalims Rev. B with a 88 CFM Yate Loon fan (D12SH-12)
MB: Asus p6x58d-e
PSU: Seasonic X-750
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 extended 240GB 3.5" form factor SSD
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB cl-6 kit (OCZ3P1600C6LV6GK). Stock is 1600 MHz, 6-8-6-24
GPUs: 2x GTX 460 1GB (MSI Cyclone).
Optical Drive: DVD-RW from Asus

Stock settings:
Everything auto except:
vDimm manually set to 1.66
RAM timings input per OCZ specs (6-8-6-24)
Speedstep/C1E/Turbo enabled
c-states disabled (this was default)
xtreme power mode on auto

CPUZ reports load core voltage swapping between 1.176, 1.184 & 1.194. Mostly at 1.184

at 196 bclk:
LLC -> Disabled
CPU Diff Amp - Auto
CPU Clock Skew: Normal
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew: Normal
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

vDIMM: 1.65
IOH: 1.16
vtt: 1.25
PLL: 1.8
vcore setting: 1.35
RAM @ 1571 MHz, timings @ spec
C1E/Turbo/EIST/C-States-> all disabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode: Enabled

Loaded vcore: 1.304 - 1.312

It's normal for the mouse to cut out (pause) (the mouse pointer will not move when it's real busy)
in extreme mode, during periods.

Was you able to close it after the time you wanted it to run at?

Thanks RJARRRPCGP, I'm just an idiot.

Indeed, it APPEARS to lock up every now and then, but when I wait (instead of hard powering off), the flame animations start back up for a few seconds, then lock again. Repeat until run is done.

Durrr. :)

Thanks RJARRRPCGP, I'm just an idiot.

Indeed, it APPEARS to lock up every now and then, but when I wait (instead of hard powering off), the flame animations start back up for a few seconds, then lock again. Repeat until run is done.

Durrr. :)

lol... I ran into some similar situation when I thought my computer wasn't posting when I boot it up and I kept hard powering it off to try to see if that would fix it or to see what was wrong.. but to my surprise, it was cause i plugged in the monitor on my 2nd video card instead of my first one.. duurrrr... which was why i didnt see the post and only saw it when it loaded up into windows rofl... duuurrr..

Stupid *** place to put it, my brother and I have both tried it, it work good, both our pc's have the same hardware, he got unlucky with his cpu and gpu though they run at higher volts and temps whilst his gpu has less clocking ability. I hope your rig runs good man.

Can't imagine how overclocking tournaments suck. If you get really lucky, you get sweet shtuff. If you don't, you lose. Sure there is the issue of it takes time, but obviously, if you have weaker parts it takes longer to stabilize. There is a limit to the "skill".

Back