• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5870 stopped functioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zaphriff

Hi Everyone,

This is officially my first ever post on a forum ever!

So forgive me if I make any school boy errors...

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with my PC which i have just upgraded...

The Spec:
Coolermaster HAF x
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
i7 930 OC @ 4ghz
12GB OCZ
60GB OCZ SSD
1TB Samsung 7200rpm SATA
XFX 5970 BE
XFX 5870
Coolermaster 1000w PSU

Also this is water cooled with a Liang DDC pump
EK 360 RAD w/ 6 xilence Red Wing Fans.

Essentially the problem i have got is that the 5870 is simply not picked up by the PC at all. Nothing shown in device manager.

No problems with the 5970 everything works A-OK.

This came about when i upgraded to the 5970 i thought i might as well run the 5870 as well.

Initially all was well and CCC popped up and asked me if i would like to run CF. - Yes please....

about 2-3mins later grey screen and PC locked up after a hard reset the 5870 is no longer detected by windows. no sign of it in Device manager at all.

I was just gonna throw it out there that maybe my PSU wasn't quite up to scratch to power everything? Also the possibility that the 5870 card is goosed. I am going to try it in PCI slot 1 on its own later to see what results i get but its a pain with the cooling pipes etc...

Would appreciate any thoughts..

Oh also I had OC'd the 5970 to 5870 speeds. also temps were all very reasonable <40deg C as CPU and GPUs are all liquid cooled.

Power supply should be good. I would put some canned air to the PCIe slot and verify that the pins on your 5870 are clean(99% alcohol is the best).

Sorry i should have also said i tried that slot out with a old GTX285 just to see what happened and windows found it no problem.

I'll try some canned air but thinking more and more that its the card which has gone...

Thanks for the reply though.
:)

Right tested it on its own in slot 1 all i get is 4 beeps 1 long and 3 short which roughly translates into your video card is dead.

Guess that answers that then

Back