• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnm

memtest86
There was a quick 2 test way to use memtest
Which tests are the most important.

Sorry Johnm, I don't follow. When running memtest86, it starts testing w/o any options.
Could you elaborate on what options you are seeing?

Start memtest
Go to bottom status bar hit c configuration settings
Configuration
Settings
Test selection
#3 select test
Test number [0-9]
Numbers 5 and 7 NOT SURE
Run test 5 and 7 only if you got a error on 5 or 7 would you run the whole test.
Tests 5 and 7 started around ddr-1 now at ddr-3 so can we still use test 5 and 7 first.

i found test 5 was sufficent when i was set wrong.
then after i get 5 working, then i reset and let the whole thing go through
sure speeds things up

I'd let it run through all the tests, or whatever it set for the default. I'm using the UBCD with MemTest86+, and it starts automatically. :shrug:

Wish I could tell you which were more important, but I run them all, just to be on the safe side.

I am using gskill f3-12800cl7t-6gbpi 1.54v at cl7-8-7-24.
Saw some newer gskill pi at CL6-8-6-20.
So I set memory from cl7-8-7-24 to CL6-8-6-22.
Got a few errors in memtest 8.
Raised dram from 1.54 to 1.594 no more errors.
I didnt want to waste hrs looking for a few errors.
Next time I will try test 5 and 8 first.

mabey it had to do more with what i was adjusting for? which test was more likly to fail?
like the block refresh, or something , block clear , filling , the kinds of things being adjusted in the all those minor things. (no i dont know what they are exacally)
for me at the end of test 5 it would do this block thing and Bam there was the errors.
because each of the parameters effect different speeds of different things, it just shows to go , that mabey even memtest itself cant test all ways the memory could be pushed.
that is why i like to have it Pass everything at a tiny bit lower voltage, or tighter numbers, then set it a notch stabler from there.

Last edited:
When you try oc your ram dropping CL to 6 then check all with windows memtest runned on as many instances as you have cores/threads ... reason ? ... memory can pass memtest but under higher load memory controller can fail in windows. Other thing is that for i7/x58 platform 7-8-7 performance will be almost the same as 6-8-6 and in 24/7 use you won't see difference. What counts in x58 is tRCD and some secondary timings.
New pi probably won't run on tighter timings than 6-8-6 but you can try run your kit on 7-7-7 and check if you can make it stable.

Your post helps out
When I first saw a link for win memtest under some ones signature I throught it was a
quick poor memtest for lazy people but I downloaded it anyways.
I ran 2 instances of win mem test for the first time few days back and yes one instances
spit out a few errors but there was a game in the backroundand and net was open.
My vtt voltage was on the low side so I increased it one notch.
So I need to open as many instances as I have cores/threads in order to check my mem controller thats a 100% load.
Reset mem to stock and will move only 1 setting at a time and test between.

Last edited:
I ran this overnight and it did 16 passes without any errors. When I booted off the CD into version 2.11 it automatically looped tests 0-8 without any prompt, so I figured I would just let it ride. After I checked it this morning and saw no errors, I decided to experiment with the configuration settings and I noticed there is a BIOS-Std and a BIOS-All option. When I selected BIOS-All I immediately received over 1000 errors and the program crashed. Any insight here?

BIOS-Std = auto mode
BIOS-All = you may have to manually set all your memory options
You need help from someone with the same MB.
I would start a fresh thread {BIOS-All option on a GA-P55-USB3}

Back