• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 or hd850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sivallakos

Registered
hi guys,

today i decided to join the folding community. of course i used team 32
as my team. now i have a dilemma:
fold using my i7 or
fold using my hd5850?

ps: my internet connection is slow (if that matters)

If it has to be one, the i7 is it.
The i7 is capable of making up to 25,000 ppd or so running -bigadv WU and 18,000 ppd running normal SMp WUs. THe 5850 makes about 3000 ppd. You could fold on both but, in my opinion, the GPU client will slow down the SMP client so the net gain is too small to justify running the ATI GPU client.

ok. i7 it is. i have a question though.
i clicked on core priority: slightly higher
and took the slider all the way to the right but
my cpu is not being used much at all. is there something
i can do?

ps: how do check my folding points which
everyone is talking about?

Last edited:
Which instructions did you follow to install the client? Do you have a passkey? No passkey, no bonus and on an i7, it's a huge bonus. Regardless, I'm certain you got the client started without the -smp flag so it is running a single threaded uniprocessor WU and reporting 12% or so cpu utilization.
You should run the SMP client at idle (lowest) priority. If you set it to low (slightly higher) it will interfere with daily use functionality of the machine.

Monitor the client with HFM
You can find your stats at EOC by searching for your user name.

If you're not going to do GPU Folding, leave the Core Priority on "Lowest Possible".

In your Additional Client Parameters box, put "-smp -verbosity 9" (without the quotes) These will allow you to get the SMP work units, and make your log file contain more helpful information in the event you have trouble.

Move your Checkpointing Frequency to around the middle, or over nearer 30. Less frequent checkpoints actually give less chances for data corruption if something goes wrong.

If you have an uninterruptible power supply, check the "Pause work while battery is being used", as this will pause the client if your power goes out and take a lot of strain off of your UPS.

@ outback_jon i did what tou said but when i start the client after a few seconds it exits automatically

edit:
oh wair i restarted it and works "fine". only a asingle thread out of
eight is maxed out all the others are at idle
http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/2108/GCYamIC7.png

Last edited:
Post your client.cfg file. It should look something like this:

[settings]
username=chuckerants
team=32
passkey=ba261510SNIP5656097b933
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=big
extra_parms=-smp 8 -bigadv -verbosity 9
local=64

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
addr=

My first folding computer is an i7(xeon w3520) with a 5850. At this point, I'm not sure it's worth folding with a 5850 since it takes away from my i7 a little bit. I just started folding again and if I get around to building an sr-2, I wont bother with folding the 5850 anymore. I have 2 ati eyefinity cards and the second one has never been able to fold for some reason. FWIW, my 5850 is currently folding at about 5k ppd.

edit:
oh wair i restarted it and works "fine". only a asingle thread out of
eight is maxed out all the others are at idle
http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/2108/GCYamIC7.png
Yeah, this is common. When you first installed/ran the client, it didn't know that you wanted to run SMP. As soon as it finishes the work unit that it has now, it will download an SMP unit and all your cores will be working.

found it

[settings]
username=sivallakos
team=32
passkey=2c57453be36d49774a98bdf9cb74bc04
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=big
extra_parms=-smp -verbosity 9
local=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no
proxy_name=
proxy_passwd=

[core]
priority=0
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
nocpulock=0
checkpoint=15

[power]
battery=no

From the Chinese version of the installation instructions: :D

3. Right click on the file you downloaded and select Create a shortcut. Right click on the shortcut, select properties and add -configonly to the end of the target line. It is important to use -configonly and not - config. If you follow these directions but use -config, the first WU you download will be a uniprocessor WU, it will continue to download and complete uniprocessor WUs until the client is restarted. Using -configonly, the first WU will be a SMP WU.

Flags entered in extra parameters like -smp are picked up after a client restart. If you start the client with -config or by clicking on the executable the client doesn't restart and the -smp flag isn't picked up.

i am so frustrated i've tried countless sommand
combinations on the shortcut but it either crashes
seconds after i launch it or it displays a windows
with the available commands.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHGHHGHGHGHHGHGHGHH

Flags on the target line must start one space after the last quote, if there are quotes around the target, one space after the last letter on the target if not. There must be a space between flags.

Your client config is fine, BTW.

Back