• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dominator Vs Ripjaws?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshcrozer

Registered
G.Skill Ripjaws Vs Corsair Dominator ?

been browsing around, seen the dominator ram and thought it looked pretty good and read a few posts on here saying G.skill was the stuff to go for?

whats the better ram overall?

also is there a noticable difference between RAM running at 1600Mhz and stuff thats bin overclocked over 2000? or is it just for benching purposes?

Mostly benching. I went from 1600mhz to 2300mhz and really see no difference in gaming and video rendering. Only benchmarks that utilize all the memory bandwidth will benefit. if you can get cheap 2000mhz RAM get it but save money for 1600mhz. Corsair Dominator's are also very overpriced, look up the Mushkin Ridgebcks.

Some Dominators are worth the money if you plan on benchmarking really hard. But all the companies make entry level stuff and high end stuff. It really depends on what exact kits you are looking at as to whether they are worth it or not. I will say I have yet to be disappointed by a set of good Mushkins.

Xoke what Ridgebacks do you have? Mine are CAS 7 2000mhz that go to 2300mhz. They have been amazing for me.

I love mine as well. 2 stick set Cas 7 2000s. The official timings are 7-10-8-24 at 2000 with XMP profile, but I have run them a lot faster.

I am generally running mine on my AMD rig, so I rarely push them all the way to 2000, normally have them around 1866 7-8-7-22-31-1t at 1.6v. I'm sure they got more in them.

I like Mushkin cause they are out of Colorado and very cool to deal with.

And the money isn't going to the greedy Taiwanese like G.Skill lol. I had G. Skill before my Mushkins and had the weirdest instability issues. I believe it was my mobo or the fact they were lower voltage sticks, but the Mushkin's worked perfectly while looking awesome at the same time.

I've had the opposite experience... multiple problems w/ Corsair, and no problems w/ G.Skill. The 4GB kit of G.Skill DDR3-2400 that I'm running now will run at DDR3-2600+ w/ 9-11-9-28-98-1T timings / 1.70V; VTT at 1.50.

So how about G.Skill Vs Mushkins then? in terms of getting a stable O/C up to somthing pretty high? not sure on the chip yet as im upgrading but it'l definately be an Intel chip, either an i7 or wait untill the new ones come out

So how about G.Skill Vs Mushkins then? in terms of getting a stable O/C up to somthing pretty high? not sure on the chip yet as im upgrading but it'l definately be an Intel chip, either an i7 or wait untill the new ones come out

You can't really go wrong with any of them. One brand may be $20 more, but that's about it. I'd be happy with any of the three. If price is a concern, go with what's cheapest between the 3 companies. If looks are a concern, go with what looks good to you.

You can't really go wrong with any of them. One brand may be $20 more, but that's about it. I'd be happy with any of the three. If price is a concern, go with what's cheapest between the 3 companies. If looks are a concern, go with what looks good to you.

Agreed 100%, Corsair, Mushkin, G-Skill, OCZ etc.. all make good RAM, you also stand a chance of getting bad RAM from any of them.

Agreed 100%, Corsair, Mushkin, G-Skill, OCZ etc.. all make good RAM, you also stand a chance of getting bad RAM from any of them.

I am not so sure on OCZ, just yet. Any of the other three, are solid choices.

And I cannot agree more; Any ram (distributor, really) company could give you a DOA/problematic module.

Probably going to go with G.Skill then, any advice on whats better between the Ripjaws and the Tridents? tridents look insane lol

Depends. Which spec'd versions are you looking at?

G-Skill 4GB 2000MHz PC16000 DDR3 Trident CAS 9 Kit (2x 2GB)

12GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Triple Channel kit 3x4GB

obviously one has triple the amount of RAM and the other runs at a higher speed but was just wondering if the tridents were known to be good? not heard many people mentioning them on here

either way think this would be a worthwhile amount of RAM to get

http://www.ditaqcomputer.com/produc...-48GB-PC3-15200U-CL8-9-8-24--DDR3-1900--.html

I am of coure joking.... who in their right mind would need to run that amount of RAM

Are you a traitor. Mushkin is in Colorado and if you don't buy then they will be laid off :) Seriously help America and buy Mushkin. G. Skill gets enough of the business and again memory speeds don't really matter much in terms of performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...226123&cm_re=ridgeback-_-20-226-123-_-Product How to beat this? Plus even if you aren't american, don't let the Asians take us over with our own technology. Help the middle class white man :)

Are you a traitor. Mushkin is in Colorado and if you don't buy then they will be laid off :) Seriously help America and buy Mushkin. G. Skill gets enough of the business and again memory speeds don't really matter much in terms of performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...226123&cm_re=ridgeback-_-20-226-123-_-Product How to beat this? Plus even if you aren't american, don't let the Asians take us over with our own technology. Help the middle class white man :)

haha, im looking for outright performance, i've had no experience with either but just even looking at the G.skills they look like they could run rings around the mushkins, although i see the CAS ratings are quite low on the mushkins,

say you had a 1600mhz rated mushkin and a 1600mhz rated ripjaw, what would be better for an O/C of up to 2000, i mean generally, disregaurding getting a bad chip etc and just going by experience?

im probably going to buy about 12GB of whatever it is im getting so i want to make sure its really good stuff by annoying the hell out of everyone on here asking all these questions lol

They may be based in Colorado, but I am fairly certain the modules are from Asia. Even if they are "assembled" here, it's still an Asian product.

Those 1600mhz sticks overclock to 2300mhz. just look at my sig. I use the 2000mhz editions, but they are exactly the same under the hood.

They may be based in Colorado, but I am fairly certain the modules are from Asia. Even if they are "assembled" here, it's still an Asian product.
That's true for quite a lot of anything you buy these days. It's hard for even minimum wage US/EU workers to compete with China's $1/hr wages. Now that China's getting consumers internally for many of the same modern products the rest of us want, they are starting to run into labor competition from other countries like Vietnam's $1/day rates. In the global market we all compete against the lowest common denominator :(

BTW I really like GSkill myself. I was with OCZ, but they started having quality issues that steered me over to GSkill. I don't' know Muskin well enough and haven't had any experience with them. Right now it's all about bang for the buck and I just don't have enough money for altruism towards supposedly domestic higher priced US products right now I'm sad to say.

Back