• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with PS3 Media Server and network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

So I have been using my ps3 to stream iso's from my computer. However it is very very slow as of late. When I navigate to my iso folder on my computer it takes 3 minutes just to load the names of the isos. Then starting one takes another minute. Then sometimes 10 seconds in it hangs, then sometimes continues on after a minute or sometimes gives me a DLNA error.

It seems to me that all the problems are probably related to my network being slow to the ps3. However I have everything hardwired instead of wireless, and everything is connected to a gigabit switch. However I do have a router that is base100 but it is only connected to the gigabit switch doing the network management, I would assume that the data would go computer to ps3 and NOT have to go through the router then and be able to use full gigabit or is that not true?

I am using a linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT on it. Are there some settings that other people have been using that I might be missing? Or has someone experienced this issue and the fault does not lie with the network?

You're correct in assuming that the data staying on the local network would only go PS3 > switch > PC. An exception to this would be if the PS3 and the PC were on different VLANs. The traffic from either of these devices would have to go to the router and back in to the local network to cross VLANs. Check to see if QoS is configured on your router and what settings could be tweaked to improve performance. Another probability is that the cable going from your switch to your PS3 is longer than 100 meters. The cable may be in poor shape and replacement with a known-good cable to check for inconsistencies would be a good idea. Is the switch port that the PS3 is connected to in full-duplex or half-duplex?

Hope this helps,
Brian

Back