• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finishing my media center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicayotte

Just before i box up and complete my media center I am wondering exactly how I would go about hooking up my media center to my Time Warner Cable box.

Here is what I have for my media center tuner card

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250MCE on Windows 7
*Image link removed, causing password prompts on page load - I.M.O.G.*
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/images/amity_with_FM.jpg

running to the Time Warner box Explorer 3250HD

*Image link removed, causing password prompts on page load - I.M.O.G.*
http://nulink.fireandrain.info/cms_files/explorer3250HD-3270HD.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure I understand your question completely, its really simple to hook up any cable/satellite/tivo box to your computer, especially when you have a hauppage card. If the second picture is your exact same Time warner box, then you could easily just run the S-video to the hauppage, but I know that HTPC's don't tend to use the proper resolutions so sometimes Windows media center or Meedios or Media Portal tend to stretch the screen, but it also seems that your box may have a DVI out, which would be the best option.

A lot of questions should be answered though, what operating system are you using, what are you using for your media center interface, what are you using for your display.

Simpler way to look at it is like this: Signal comes to your Time warner box, then to your HTPC, then to your display.

Hope this helps

Im not sure I understand your question completely, its really simple to hook up any cable/satellite/tivo box to your computer, especially when you have a hauppage card. If the second picture is your exact same Time warner box, then you could easily just run the S-video to the hauppage, but I know that HTPC's don't tend to use the proper resolutions so sometimes Windows media center or Meedios or Media Portal tend to stretch the screen, but it also seems that your box may have a DVI out, which would be the best option.

A lot of questions should be answered though, what operating system are you using, what are you using for your media center interface, what are you using for your display.

Simpler way to look at it is like this: Signal comes to your Time warner box, then to your HTPC, then to your display.

Hope this helps

My box does not have DVI so should I run from the the cable box via coax to the tuner card then the tuner card takes the signal and sends it out via the dvi to my tv's hdmi port?

Hope this helps

My box does not have DVI so should I run from the the cable box via coax to the tuner card then the tuner card takes the signal and sends it out via the dvi to my tv's hdmi port?

Also will I still be able to do my digital/HD channels?

ALso what are a good set of codecs that allow me to play my ripped dvd's on my media center with sound. I am unable to get sound only video

I don't think you're be able to get HD with that card. Digital shouldn't matter.

Google 'CCCP', its the codec pack I use.

ALso what are a good set of codecs that allow me to play my ripped dvd's on my media center with sound. I am unable to get sound only video

Sorry about the delay Nica, I was on a prehistoric jet that didnt have internet. My experience and cocktail of codec package that hands down works the absolute best with ALL video types is "K-Lite codec pack MEGA x64" then I add VobSub for complete subtitle playback. Finally I download Media player classic and set all video files to open with it rather than the newer windows media player 11 which is slightly more resource intensive. Everyone is different and I can't say that my arrangement is the best choice for you, it depends on what you plan on using as your frontend, I know that my setup doesn't play to well with Meedios, but it does well with Media Portal, and Windows Media Center.

CCCP is essentially K-Lite except VobSub and MPC-HC are included. It also does DxVA hardware acceleration out of the box (after default install) now for 32-bit players.(not that the OP would need it, seems he's doing SD video). IMHO K-Lite was the shizz in early 2000's, but CCCP has surpassed it with more features.

If your system is 64-bit, CCCP is still all you need unless you plan on using Windows Media Center. If thats the case, go for K-Lite or ffdshow tryouts.

Back