• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffheman

So my friend's mom's old desktop stopped sending a video signal to her monitor. I tried two different monitors on it, no signal. She's running onboard video, so I told her she could try a new video card... I don't know how old this computer is, but I was at least expecting an AGP slot... not the case.

So my question is if this super cheap PCI card is even enough to like watch youtube or something... it seems totally unreasonable to spend even $50 to fix this computer, I'd rather her just woot some refurb desktop or something.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Rage-8MB-Video-Card/dp/B000G6U2W4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291644956&sr=8-4

So my question is if this super cheap PCI card is even enough to like watch youtube or something

Depends. With the exception of some of the newer video cards, Youtube and all that isn't accelerated by the GPU, it's all on the CPU. But if the computer could handle Youtube before, with the onboard video, then it'll handle it just the same with that Rage card.

Ah good to know. I'll just order this for her and hope it solves the problem.

lol - no heatsink on the card. I remember the good old days, tiny PCI video cards.

Back