• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200mm Rad reviews... where they at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Hello,

I've been doing various re-thinks on my upcoming "re-build".

For my case I'm thinking of a HAF X 942. And using two of the 200MM rads, one in the front behind the bottom front intake.. and mounting the other on the top, allowing for plenty of Cooling capacity while not having to mod the crap out of the case.

I'm thinking the only thing i would have to do is relocate (or remove) the HD rack assembly , which from pic's seems like it's just riveted at the bottom surface of the case. And take it back a bit allow room for installation of the rad, Possibly even chopping it in half (height wise) and moving it back just to ensure it doesn't bother the Video card end area.

But i cant find any reviews on the Phoyba Extreme 200MM

any thoughts?

200mm fans have a really hard time moving air through any sort of restriction since as size of the fan increases, static pressure decreases.

The "intent" of the larger fans is good. The problem is, the larger fans only work when they are unimpeded.

The only time you see the larger fans typically, is on consumer grade cases and then only as an intake/exhaust. You wont likely find (m)any true servers/workstations that have those size fans on them, due to their ineffective CFM.

Not all fans are equal.. and it's not about moving lots of air, it's about moving a lil air in a larger area. Duly noted lol

*beats away angry mob

Nah, I get it. But are we saying such a setup.. with superb wire management, with after more looking, will be a removed HD rack. Wont be able to at least VERY quietly cool a AMD1090T and GTX570 loop?

edit2/ also.. not saying there "COULDN'T" be a squirrel cage blower involved.. I do have one laying around..

Last edited:
Well, I'm starting to see the light.. kinda.

I think I'm moving away from the HAF 942 to go with the Sniper.. it looks different but provides same function for a nice price.

Internals are pretty much the same.. Looks like I may just have to mod the thing though.. for better radiator performance.. triple up top and double on bottom.. (120's)..

Just saw it and thought.. havent seen a lot of those. probably will be a fun project.

Nah, I get it. But are we saying such a setup.. with superb wire management, with after more looking, will be a removed HD rack. Wont be able to at least VERY quietly cool a AMD1090T and GTX570 loop?

Maybe others are saying it, but with my case (the XClio), it works just fine at keeping the CPU @ or near room temp, and that's with the 2 case fans being the only fans in the case (besides the PSU fan).

YMMV of course, but I don't see any reason why a properly setup loop in a proper case wouldn't work.

there is a couple fans but they are not intended for PC use . the big thing with using large fans has mostly been mentioned . to make them work you have to seal your system much better and run them faster than they are specced for.
in that case its usually better to either go with something specialized or just go the rout of a blower design

Back