• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$300 shipped for a vetex 2 180gb. Should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I know better things are coming out soon but I only have sata2 anyhow and won't be doing a whole system upgrade for some time. Is this a mistake? I'm afraid they'll go down to half price a month after I get one but who knows.

Sandforce 2 drives are supposed to be shipping in Q1 of this year. If I'd buy a 60GB Sandforce drive to tide you over until the new ones come out then gauge price/performance. Even on SATA2, the speed increase from the new sandforce 2 will be nice, at worst it'll drop prices of current drives.

i see. i was under the impression that the vertex 2 pretty much maxed out the sata2 bandwidth.

It does for sequential writes, however, random reads and writes it doesn't. Hopefully sandforce 2 will increase these, but all we know about sandforce 2 are the claims (which are basicly double the performance)

I just installed one, a 180gb Vertex 2. At this price, it became worth it IMO. The size is ideal for OS, programs and games for me. $300 is less than what I spent on Dual 74gb raptors in Raid 0 five years ago (if I remember right) but this of course is much faster and quieter. It fliiies! This drive is good enough for me for a while, I'll probably upgrade from this when I build a whole new rig in about 1.5 - 2 years or so, then I'll use it in my secondary computer.

Back