• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade to 2600K question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

I've read the huge thread about 1366 to 1155. imo there is a mix of people saying that yes you do get a performance improvement while some say no while some say (including me) you get an improvement but not worth the cost to switch.

the question on hand is this:

for 50 bucks, i can upgrade my current cpu and motherboard. how only 50 bucks you ask? a friend wants to a gaming computer but knows nothing about building computers or anything. just knows basics of the basics ( he plays WoW allot) well he wants a computer that will last him a while and that can play new games that are coming out as well as WOW. was going to use my extra E6750 dual core and Abit ip35 and just get him a 460gtx but he wanted to also play black ops and new games coming out and most new games are asking for quad cores. i thought well ill just build him a comp with a 2500K and 460gtx then it got me thinking, hell, ill just sell him my motherboard and cpu, my cpu is less than a year old and i take care of my stuff (dust my computer out at least 1once a week) (im a neat freak) a I7 930 on newegg goes for 280 and a 2600K goes for 330. thought i would just add 50 bucks to what hes paying for the parts (im building the computer for him for free. hes only paying me for a extra power supply i bought a month ago for a HTPC build i was going to build) my motherboard is a X58 evga SLI. they dont make it anymore but the newer one x58 sli 3 is 209 and thats more than a asus P67 board im looking at now and even more than the Evga P67 sli once its released. i think its fair and im not ripping him off with anything. my stuff is running great and is well kept.

so what do you guys think? personally, i think its worth it cause clock for clock, the is a little better and i want to be able to hit 4.4 or higher with ease.

I'd also go for it, I hit 4.5Ghz with pretty much no effort (other than a aftermarket cooler).

I'd also go for it, I hit 4.5Ghz with pretty much no effort (other than a aftermarket cooler).
what are your load temps? and whats your core vcore?
i have a Prolimatech Megahalem with one Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (1600rpm) and i love it. dead silent and cools it pretty good.

lol, im going to either have to stall him or be without a computer for a little bit because i want to wait for the P67 sli from EVGA comes out. rather go with them than asus.

I would make the switch. The added benefit of selling your friend your computer rather than building a new one is you know that you've got all the kinks worked out. I'm always hesitant to build a new computer for someone that is computer illiterate because I don't want to have to debug problems if they pop up after the first couple days.

@ 4.5ghz my Vcore was 1.30 , I'll have to get back to you on temps, as I don't remember them and I am not at home right now...

Back