• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II "unstable" unlock problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shepardx

Hi there!
I'm a new user and have been reading a lot on this and other forums. Now, is time to request some help :chair:

I got a Phenom II X2 555BE paired with Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev 1.3) to get some fun and try to unlock and oc this cpu.

After some tests, I concluded 4th core is defective because windows setup and linux (cd live ubuntu) can't boot or boot in a weird way (in linux, some process got stuck using 100% of 1 core). Also tried to get a stable 4th core reducing the frequency or increasing voltages. I have read about increasing CPU voltage and then Northbridge voltage. I tried booting at 1Ghz and doesn't work, also disabled 2nd and 3rd cores without positive results.

Well, the third core is "stable". The quotes are because I can boot ok with 3 cores. In linux I can reach the desktop (Gnome), and run a terminal, download some files and test with Prime 95 using blend, small ffts, and in-place ffts. I haven't tried too much time. But this tests are stable (maybe I have run it by 30mins - 1 hour in every test). The problem comes, when I try to open some software, like the firefox browser, or in windows (windows 7 btw) download a file using Internet exploiter :rock: My machine simply FREEZES.

I have no idea what is happening. Tried upping the voltages with no result. In some way that 3rd core is causing problems to the platform.

Someone have an idea or got a cpu/mobo with a similar issue?

Btw, other things I have done:

-Update the bios to F8 (originally F7, and as expected, didn't worked)
-Disable Virtualization, cool and quiet.
-Changing to Native IDE my drives (possible I/O lookups I thought)

The rest of the rig:
-Some hd's and a DVD burner
-9800GTX+
-Corsair HX620
-Adata 1333 2x2GB

And I haven't found almost anything about my batch, 1043.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

PS: Sorry for my long post and sorry if my english isn't any good u_u

Last edited:
And these freezes don't occur when you are only running two cores? I they do, I would run memtest86+ overnight.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

I have run memtest by 1 hour, but, I think isn't necessary because I used that ram in other rig, and the CPU works well with 2 cores. Also, as I said, prime 95 blend works well o_O

And, I tried another 2x2 kit in the other 2 slots, same results.

Yes, I think something is bad, but why I can run that torture tests for hours, and then some browser app comes and freezes my machine? xD For me is really weird.

Yes, I think something is bad, but why I can run that torture tests for hours, and then some browser app comes and freezes my machine? xD For me is really weird.

AMD GOD's say
don't asks questions. ;) Just live with what you paid for.

AMD does not make it so that these are instantly turned into quads. There is a reason they sell them as duals:shock:

You are one of the unlucky ones that got a true two core 555BE.... If you see my signature you'll notice I have the same CPU/MoBo combo that you mentioned and in my case the 3rd and 4th core unlocked without any issue.

The thing with the whole unlocking thing is that it is kind of like a lottery... Some people win and some don't.

AMD GOD's say
don't asks questions. ;) Just live with what you paid for.

AMD does not make it so that these are instantly turned into quads. There is a reason they sell them as duals:shock:

I know, and EVERYBODY knows, but we are here because we want to squeeze the last drop of our machines.

And about a true dual core...IMHO, is a quad, well, every phenom II is a quad, just I have the other 2 cores defective u_u. I am looking to get that third core stable, because prime (and some kind of super pi I that I have tested in linux http://systester.sourceforge.net/about.html ) are stable.

PS: I have a MORE weird issue, but isn't confirmed. When I enable ACC and EC firmware, the machine freezes still with TWO cores :shock: With the normal firmware this doesn't happens. I will try more to confirm that issue. Probably is my mobo that doesn't let me unlock very well?

Lucky xXSebaSXx :bang head

Does LinX give an error?

Well, I have not tried it, until now... because I have found a more specific detail about my issue.

When I enable EC firmware, and specifically ACC auto (and then appear the other cores) If I disable the cores 2 and 3, an left 0 and 1, the machine freezes randomly. If I left acc off (and the other cores dissapear), but with EC firmware enabled, the machine is stable. Another try, EC off (normal) and ACC on, is stable.

And well...linx is stable...until the machine lockup.

My last hypothesis, the problem is in my mobo, or I need some setting in ACC. Some idea? Changing the percent in ACC may help? :S (I believe nope).

Thanks for answering my thread.

Well, as xXSebaSXx said before, he has the same mobo/cpu. Maybe the mine is an issue with THIS motherboard...I can't return it because ACC doesn't works well LOL.

And maybe is a problem more deep with the CPU...

While think in a solution, I have oc'ed the CPU...

[email protected] with ram 1333@1664 n_n

Back