• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 @ 3.8GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexcy

Registered
Dear forum,

Since this is my first post I would like to congratulate you for the excellent job you are making here.

I have a Gigabyte X58a-UD3R with an i7 930 processor and 12GB Corsair Ram (6x2GB) at 1600MHz. My cooler is Zalman CNPS10x Extreme. My max temperature on IBT is 71c on an ambient of 20c.

I am currently clocked at 3.8 GHz and making stability tests using IBT, prime95 and HCI memtest.

How does this configuration look to you? In fact I am suprised with the low voltages and thought that something might be wrong. I read that 12GB Ram required much more VTT and IOH voltage. In addition, is it better to have 21x multiplier than 19x? Regarding the Uncore Frequency is it worth trying to set it at x17? If I am completely stable, shall I try and reduce the DRAM voltage or not? Any suggestions for the RAM timings?

Finally, what do you think for my cooler and temperature?

Please excuse me for asking so many questions. It's my first time overclocking, I have read numerous articles regarding the process but I still need to clarify some things.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

My current 3.8Ghz settings (tested at the moment) are below:

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [19]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disable]
CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enable]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disable]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disable]
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disable]
Virtualization Technology ................. [Enable]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 7.2GHz
Uncore Frequency ..........................[x16] 3200MHz
Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enable]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[200]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100]
C.I.A.2........................................... ....... [-]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900]
CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disable]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................[9]
tRCD ......................................[9]
tRP ........................................[9]
tRAS ......................................[24]
CR..........................................[1]
B2B........................................[-]

Advanced Voltage Control:
CPU Intel Core i7 930 D0 Stepping
Load Line Calibration .................... [Standard]
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.2325]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.175v .................[1.195]
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.80]
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[Normal]
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[Normal]
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[Normal]
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[Normal]
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[Normal]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.60]
DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [AUTO]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]

For the memory I would suggest running it in XMP mode, it'll put everything to the manufacturers exact specs. Overclocking RAM really won't make a difference in normal computing unless you are benching so don't worry about overclocking. Keep the DRAM voltage at company spec, look it up if you have to. Your CPU voltage is extremely low but since you said it's stable then that's all that matter. The cooler you have kind of seems overpriced. It's decent but a Prolimatech Megahalems or a Thermalright Venomous X would have been better for the money. Try to keep the CPU under 80c and you should be good. Make sure though you're looking at core temps because CPU temps is completely different. Use CPUID HW Monitor or Core Temp.

Thank you very much for your quick reply. The last time I tried to use XMP, the system didn't boot! Will try again after I finish the memory tests. Is there any case that CPU undervolting might cause other problems except stability? I am using HW Monitor already.

How many cycles do I have to complete in IBT and memtest in order to say that I'm 100% 24/7 stable? Any ideas regarding the x19 multiplier vs x21 multiplier? Is anyone better than the other? Finally, about the Uncore frequency is x17 any better than x16?

Thank you.

I had the same problem on my system with XMP settings. It should have set everything correctly, but for some reason when attempting to o/c the system, the settings were all off. I had to manually set the memory to the manufacturers spec.

I tried to find a solution to the XMP problem but nothing. What about you? Set them manually?

Settings look fine to me! Nice voltage on that chip..!

+3 on XMP not booting. I always set manually.

After 18.5 hours of prime95 small FFTs no error occured. However, on the 10th pass of HCI memtest one error was found. Which voltage needs to be increased? In addition, do I have to run the small FFTs prime test again or it's not needed since the CPU seems to be stable? (I plan to make a blen test later and then IBT).

Forgot to say that I was running both prime95 and HCI memtest simultaneously. Is there any case that this caused the problem?

Last edited:
HCI?

Running both a memory test and small FFT could have caused it. Its a very unrealistic situation for your PC to be in. With that said, run P95 BLEND for 8 hours and if that passes, I would say you are good to go.

Stability is up to the user. If it doesnt freeze or BSOD on you for your uses, its stable.

Checking the memory again at the moment. The computer is lagging a little bit but I guess this is normal right? In case I get errors, how these could be overcomed? QPI/VTT voltage or ICH voltage increase?

Is your memory overclocked? Then maybe memory voltage. Otherwise, Vtt is where I would start first.

Yes, its normal to lag a bit when running these tests.

My memory runs at stock, 1600Mhz with default timings (9-9-9-24). Does ICH voltage bump helps anything memory related? Or just play with VTT?

** Pardon my ignorance, I spent some time browsing the forum and found what I needed, Performed a short burn test and everything checked out.
Top temperature was 80c.

Will run a longer test over night, but it looks promising. :)

Code:
I am running, and have been running, the exact same settings for a few months now. 
I just now decided to try getting to 4.0ghz, but failed miserably. Windows wouldn't boot, I upped the Vcore to, eventually, ***1.35v and windows booted, but would BSOD shortly thereafter.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I can't help but feel that I should be upping some other voltage as well?

i7 930 @ 3.8ghz || 3x2gb Corsair DDR3 XMS3 @ 1530mhz || ATI HD4850 || Corsair HX850+ 
Noctua-d14 cooler.

Temps at burn 62c

Last edited:
Currently 22 cycles with HCI memtest and no error. Yesterday I got an error with prime95 running simultaneously with fewer cycles. I didn't change any voltages at all. Which of the two tests (same application) shall I trust? Do you believe I am ok now? I will let it run some more.

Your the first person i have read so far on this board that has close to the same clock as me with such little Vcore. I am 1.25@ 4Ghz. Looks great.

Really? That's very good I guess! When I figure out that I'm completely stable I might try for some more. Both temperatures and voltage allows it, however is it worth it? What is your opinion?

Looks like I gotta play with my BIOS settings all over again. have the same CPU and very similar motherboard, so hopefully I can get my 930 @ 3.8ghz with lower temps. Currently at 1.275

Back