• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock 8086k on Aorus Master Z390

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asryan

Registered
Hello, I'm new here, just got a Z390 Master motherboard to go with my 8086K.

Here are the settings i've put on the Aorus one. I did not had time to do proper stres on Prime since i'm working from home those days ...

Is there any settings or choices that seem somehow wrong to you?

I don't want to push it to the max but have a stable 5ghz OC and not running to hot !

also

i've ran across this topic when looking for appropriate parameters on my board
is it really usefull I don't really get it

Thanks

Cinebench R15 : 1508
Cinebench r20 : 3601

Real time Cinebench R15 : 1612
Real time Cinebench r20 : 3964

ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS

CPU Base clock 100
CPU upgrade : auto
Enhanced multi core performance : enabled
CPUclock ratio 50
FCLK frequency for early power on : 1Ghz
XMP : profile 1

Advanced cpu core settings
AVX offset : 0
Uncore ratio : 47
Intel turbo boost technology : on
Cores : 50 all core

C state enabled (

ADVANCED VOLTAGE SETTINGS

Advanced power settings
CPU internal AC/ DC Load Lines : auto
CPU VCORELoadline calibration High
CPU vcorte current protection : auto

CPU core voltage control
Manual
CPU vcore : 1 31
CPU VCCIO 1.05
CPU SA : 1.15
CPU current limit 255
package power limit maxed (4095 / 127..)

Cpu vcore PWM switch rate : 300
VAXG PWM switch rate : auto
PWM phase control : auto
VAGX phase control : auto

Cinebench R15 : 1508
Cinebench r20 : 3601

Real time Cinebench R15 : 1612
Real time Cinebench r20 : 3964

It was more about stuff enabled or not that values.

I knew that MCE is the big evil on asus for instance but I have read different things on Aorus

same for
Cpu vcore PWM switch rate ? 300 / 400?

What about c state, i don"t care of electrical bill that much but does it have a big impact on temperatures?

thanks

I've never heard of any issues with ASUS not liking all-core overclocking. Maybe individual cases (on their budget boards) but as a whole I believe they are fine.

As for C states, I generally don't mess with them unless I feel I can squeeze out just a bit more from an OC. It's been years though, honestly.

Again, I would start with the basics. Find out what your CPU is capable of, then find out if it can do that on all cores, if not what is it's all-core max. Now you will have an understanding of what your particular COU can handle and decide if you want an all-core OC or allow one core to OC to the max and let the others run at a lower speed. Your most used applications may determine that as well since some will only use one core and others are multi-core capable.

Thanks!

Is prime 95 safe? I was told to use small ftt no avx but I am always afraid of damages?

Prime 95 is safe but keep an eye on your temps. Your CPU will thermal throttle or shut down before damage happens. Though I like to stop the test before this happens. Once you reach 90C+ it's about time to stop the test. Therrmal throttling happens around 95C IIRC and CPU shut down is at 100C. You want small fft and no avx. Once you determine your max OC you can play around with an AVX offset for maximum AVX oc and Non-AVX OC. First, lets get the horse in front of the cart.

EDIT: You should be stress testing for at least 20 mins per run. If you are reaching max temps before this then you are pushing too hard.

Please list your system specs and give more info about:

1. Your CPU cooling solution. When overclocking, good cooling is essential.
2. Your PSU make, model and wattage
3. Your GPU
4. Amount of RAM, make, frequency and speed
5. Case make and model and case fans. How many set to intake and how many set to exhaust? Good case ventilation is essential to keeping components cool.

Thanks !

1. H150 i by corsair
2. Corsair RMi 850W
3. EVGa 2080 ti FTW3
4. 32G DDR4 / Gskill Trident Z 3466
5. h500m
2X200 intake in front
3x120 LL exhaust on top
1x140 exhaust on the back LL140 .

I just ran a prime test with the parameters above but I had a BSOD in a short time.. Should i rise vcore to 1.32 or go for higher llc?

Monitor your temps and voltages with HWInfo64. Have the program window open while you stress test. Pay particular attention to the CPU core temps.

What you need to do is decide beforehand what is the maximum safe core voltage you will be comfortable with in 24/7 operation. Research that and realize before hand you will get a range of answers but you will likely also see some answers more frequently, like what most are saying is maximum safe voltage, somewhat of a consensus for that CPU. Once you have settled that, enter that voltage amount in bios. Then, starting at where you want to be with your overclock frequency, set the multiplier to that amount.

Then start stress testing. If you pass the stress test then start lowering your core voltage until you fail the stress test. Then put the voltage back to where it was at the lowest point that allowed you to pass the stress test. You should stress test for a least 1 hour in my opinion and watch temps while you are doing it, not allowing the temps to exceed 95c. If they exceed that amount, lower the voltage and adjust the overclock multiplier if necessary.

Another good stress tester is OCCT. It has built-in temp and voltage monitoring which Prime95 does not. Using OCCT would allow you to dispense with HWInfo64. When you think you have your overclock dialed in, I would run a two hour stress test.

i've reset the bios to modify only CPU setting but even at 1.34 vcore, i get 2000+ errors in OCCT large files AVX2.

Also, i don't understand why, even with llc on high, my vcore seems to drop a lot. (see screenshot here : mini_200506085143323099.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

You're not neccessarily doing anything wrong. Not all CPU's will be stable at 5.0Ghz. Were you stable at 4.6Ghz the way the guide suggests? I don't use OCCT so I'm sorry I have no advice for that software, maybe Trents can help with that.

Just tried 1.32 with llc turbo it lasted 10m without error but bsod "unexpected kernel mode trap"

Trying 1.33 now, 7 minutes into the test
74c max 20200506_145509.jpg

I don't use OCCT so I'm sorry I have no advice for that software, maybe Trents can help with that.
I don't either. Last I used it, the sensors were wonky, etc.... I stick to Hwmonitor or CPUz for CPU voltage as that has worked well for me. I don't like its stress test either, but that is another story. People can use whatever... but I can't help either with OCCT.

No.wonder why you are confused as you're hearing things from multiple sites. Helping feels like swimming uptream..
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rus-z390-master-f11-bios.266605/#post-4258738

I also think your laat post regarding the OCCT results was supposed to be here?

Last edited:
i've reset the bios to modify only CPU setting but even at 1.34 vcore, i get 2000+ errors in OCCT large files AVX2.

Also, i don't understand why, even with llc on high, my vcore seems to drop a lot. (see screenshot here : mini_200506085143323099.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

Those errors mean you are not stable. At this point, I think you need to establish whether or not your CPU is stable at stock clocks and voltages. Did you buy this CPU new or used? And have you tested the RAM with memtest86?

I don't either. Last I used it, the sensors were wonky, etc.... I stick to Hwmonitor or CPUz for CPU voltage as that has worked well for me. I don't like its stress test either, but that is another story. People can use whatever... but I can't help either with OCCT.

No.wonder why you are confused as you're hearing things from multiple sites. Helping feels like swimming uptream..
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rus-z390-master-f11-bios.266605/#post-4258738

I also think your laat post regarding the OCCT results was supposed to be here?

indeed i'm trying to gather max info but i read all and its contrary

use manual.. no use adaptive !
your chip is very bad ! your chip is ok..

i'm lost, someone I know just told me my restults are very bad and the vcore is too high for a delidded cpu..

for the results here there are, i've juste changed two stuff after : Io / sa at 1.15 and i disabled Cstate and speedshift.
i'd like to make an adaptive profile now

Hello I finally managed to pass an OCCT without error

1 hour test, large files, avx 2

8086k processor

Aorus Master Z390

vcore 1.33

Turbo LLC

Are these results ok?

I've set up io and SA to 1.15

disabled c state and speed shift

I would like to set up an adaptive profile but not so sure how to do...

Thanks

For the full settings :

MANUAL PROFILE

ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS

CPU Base clock 100
CPU upgrade : auto
Enhanced multi core performance : disabled
CPUclock ratio 50
FCLK frequency for early power on : 1Ghz
XMP : profile 1
Vt-d disabled

Advanced cpu core settings