• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why i smy cpu temp higher than core temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adiel

Hi..
I am getting confused about this as I have heard that the core temp should be higher than the cpu temp. But in my case the cpu temp is much higher. At idle my core temp is 40-42C while my cpu temp reaches 64C.
Here is a pic of speed fan..

2hebmmt.jpg

Core 2 Quad Q9400
Intel DG35EC
Kingston 667MHZ RAM 2*1 GB

Kindly help me on this one.

Grab a copy of CoreTemp and see what it says. I'm guessing that it will match with the "Core x" section.

Basically, you have two different sensors. One that is in the chip itself and is calibrated to be extremely precise and another that is placed on a motherboard. The latter tends to be far from what the processor is actually running. Bottom line, don't worry about it.

Yes, core temp is also showing almost same temperatures for the cores, but I am worried about CPU temps, But as you said,should I really not worry about it if my core temps are all right??

Trust what CoreTemp says. What you are seeing is a badly calibrated sensor.

Listen to thiddy and CoreTemp! :D
Each cpu core has a DTS (digital thermal sensor) and programs like CoreTemp or HW Monitor read those DTS sensors to give you accurate core operating temps. Motherboard temp sensors can give false readings as it seems in your case. I wouldn't worry as long as core temps are good.

Last edited:
cpu temp is a estimated temp of the IHS, the core temps are of the actual die, ie below the IHS. always go by core temps on core 2 and newer cpus, always!

Thank you all for your replies. Now my mind is at peace at last :salute:

Back