• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Too many HDD's in one box need help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hopelessone

Hi All,

I have 7 HDD's (all 2TBs..and growing) in one box and I lost one due to heat (stacked real close)
So I bought a huge fan and temp is still approx 41C and its winter here..!

Had the Koolance hard drive coolers but I dont like the fittings

I seen a DIY water Cooled HDD Sandwich HOW TO a while back....but i cant find it again on Google...
It was made from 3 sheets of copper and the inside was cut out like a big letter "Z"
they were the soldered together..it had step by step pictures..

Does anyone have or know this DIY html?

was thinking of making a separate enclosure with them all sandwiched together or stacked and then running a vertical piece of copper piping up one side so they all get the water the same time and same thing for the hot water out...

What do you think...

Many thanks

Ahh Sorry..

Its just a normal tower...
gonna make my own later...
Its got fans on the side, back and front...
Gonna water cool the lot later...wanting to start with the hard drives first...

What's a 'normal tower' Ever consider a larger tower with fully populated front fans? Like Antec 1200? Surely normal HDD's can't be producing that much heat... My 1TB storage sits in a spot where it gets no ventilation, no air/fans, and it's perfectly fine :\.

atx case..
8 x 2TB WD Caviar Green HDD's...
Thanks for your advice but no...i don't want a bigger case nor fans...
I'm in Korea and fans get clogged real fast...
do you know of any DIY HDD 3.5 waterblocks?

You are aware that you (usually) have to run MORE fans when you water cool right? You're not going to solve anything by water cooling the hard drives except to move the locations of the fans you're using to cool the drives.

just lost a long post, here are highlights:
1) single low RPM fan is so much better than passive that passive shouldn't be considered
2) hdd's make a buncha noise (specially in that quantity) passive shouldn't be considered
3) noise below the noise level of the hdds will just change tonality of the sound passive shouldn't be considered
4) you're gonna be wasting space in your case
5) if you space the drives like they would be with the water blocks, then put a fan in front of them, the temps will be fine
6) why do fans fail more in korea?!?!

A) Buddy I got a huge 5" ball bearing fan the same size as the front width of the case directly in front of those HDD's with a space of 1cm between each HDD and lots of 0.7mm holes drilled in front of the case for air flow...

I use linux with hddtemp using conky it shows hdd temps realtime...some are 36C to 41C

B) Yellow dust from china stuff gets everywhere...i never used to clean my computers that much in Australia...every 3-4 months the silent fans get noisy...pull em apart and see they are clogged...And i got an electrostatic ion air cleaner in the room! go figure..

thanks but i never heard any hdd noise using my Zalman reserator and Koolance water cooled hdd's on the other computer...usually 2 hdd's are in use...so i dont hear those fans...as i said i'll be building my own case later...

Back