• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X2 560 - Some Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

Mobo - Biostar A780L3G

CPU - Phenom II X2

With this mobo I had easily unlocked a Sempron 140 & overclocked it some.

But since Microcenter was selling the 560 & mobo as a combo for $100, I decided to give the 560 a try and upgrade the kids rig with the 140 and new mobo.

I could unlock the 3rd core but am unable to unlock the 4th. This with everything set to stock.

I did try upping the cpu .10, but I still couldn't unlock it.

Now I am getting constant hardware error messages from Linux- probably the 4th core.

Time to take away the 3rd core & see what happens.

Any advice on how to make it stable with the extra cores?

Mobo - Biostar A780L3G

CPU - Phenom II X2

With this mobo I had easily unlocked a Sempron 140 & overclocked it some.

But since Microcenter was selling the 560 & mobo as a combo for $100, I decided to give the 560 a try and upgrade the kids rig with the 140 and new mobo.

I could unlock the 3rd core but am unable to unlock the 4th. This with everything set to stock.

I did try upping the cpu .10, but I still couldn't unlock it.

Now I am getting constant hardware error messages from Linux- probably the 4th core.

Time to take away the 3rd core & see what happens.

Any advice on how to make it stable with the extra cores?
Probably there's nothing you can do and the core just isn't functional.

AMD tests all the chips from the top to the bottom, like as an example, first does it work as a quad. If not, they sell it as a dual core and lock the other two ones. Unlocking really depends just on your luck :shrug:

So it works fine as triple core :) ?

Well, I set everything back to default in the BIOS and it couldn't get past post.

So the CPU is bad.

I put the 140 Sempron back in and it's up and running fine.

I think I got a bad one.

Well, I set everything back to default in the BIOS and it couldn't get past post.

So the CPU is bad.

I put the 140 Sempron back in and it's up and running fine.

I think I got a bad one.
So it isn't working at all anymore?

You bought a dual, you shouldn't expect them to work, it's just extra if they work :)

Yeah, the CPU was bad.

I just installed a new 560 and everything is good.

I will try later (after it runs for a while) to unlock the other cores without overclocking.

If it works with 3 or 4 cores, I'm lucky. If I can't, I'll be happy with 2 cores and go from there.

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased this exact combo from this retailer and it was the worst experience I've ever had. I ended up RMA ing the board with the manufacturer because I was simply so disgusted with this retailer.

Board was DOA from the get go.. obviously a return that was resold (missing manual and the metal port bezel) ...

I just finished my second install of the board (in my kids rig).

So both boards are fine and 2 out of 3 cpus are too.

And I've never had a bad experience at Microcenter.

It's the luck of the draw with these CPUs. My two extra cores are unstable. The two good cores have great potential for good OCs though. I'm running mine at 4.18 GHz and it's running like a champ. The extra speed is very noticeable. I'm very happy with it but will be getting a x4 or x6 in the future.

I can't unlock either core of this cpu- it just goes into a black screen after enabling the 3rd core.

But after resetting the CMOS and reconfiguring, it's fine.

My plan is to slowly overclock the 2 cores once I improve the cooling. With the 6 mb cache it will do anything I need it to do (Linux) at stock speed (3.3 Ghz). Over that is gravy.....

Back