• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Articlean accident

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrCynical

Registered
So last Thursday, I was cleaning thermal paste off my cpu (i7 980x) and some of the Articlean substance dripped under the CPU and into the motherboard. Since then, I have propped the CPU and the motherboard (Asus Rampage III Extreme) in front a fan at 50% speed. There was no power going to the motherboard or the CPU before, during, or after this incident. The CPU has since been removed from the socket.

Last night, it was mostly dry and I would imagine that it'll be fully dry today. What are the chances of the motherboard being fried? The cpu?

I don't really want to waste my time assembling a computer to have it not turn on, nor do I want to replace those expensive parts.

what's in that stuff? If it's isopropyl, which I'm guessing it is, you're ok. If any of the Arctic Silver (which you shouldn't use because it's capacitive) was in it and made it onto CPU contacts that's not good.

Apparently the active ingredient is something called "D-Limonene", which is extracted from citrus rinds.

You can just bench test it; hook up a PSU and video card to the board, lay it on a non conductive surface, and turn it on to see if it will POST.

It should be fine, its mostly alcohol I believe which makes it evaporate quicker than water and leave behind minimal residue.

When we do extreme benching and we're done and tearing down the rig, the DICE/LN2 frost buildup sometimes falls off when we remove the insulation and the cooler on the CPU. Dry up any puddles of water you see with cloth, point a fan at it, and typically 24 hours is a safe bet you are good to go again. Sometimes the board is still soggy if you aren't patient enough, and if so the board might act a bit funny. Possible to fry it that way also, but often if you shut back down and let things dry out a bit better everything is back to normal.

I wouldn't be worried about any articlean. These things are often tougher than you might imagine.

It should be fine, its mostly alcohol I believe which makes it evaporate quicker than water and leave behind minimal residue.

When we do extreme benching and we're done and tearing down the rig, the DICE/LN2 frost buildup sometimes falls off when we remove the insulation and the cooler on the CPU. Dry up any puddles of water you see with cloth, point a fan at it, and typically 24 hours is a safe bet you are good to go again. Sometimes the board is still soggy if you aren't patient enough, and if so the board might act a bit funny. Possible to fry it that way also, but often if you shut back down and let things dry out a bit better everything is back to normal.

I wouldn't be worried about any articlean. These things are often tougher than you might imagine.

There weren't any visible puddles of water. Here is a picture of how I have had it set up for the past week:
jmV7Bu.png

Apparently the active ingredient is something called "D-Limonene", which is extracted from citrus rinds.

Wiki link

In general when using unknown substances, apply a bit of the stuff to a surface that won't absorb it and see how long it takes to evaporate. Or flush it out with alcohol and wait a few hours for the alcohol to evaporate.

Never use unknown stuff from a company that doesn't even understand its own products when cheaper alcohol will work just as well. Arctic Silver just wants people to worry so it can create a dependence on its overpriced products.

Wiki link

In general when using unknown substances, apply a bit of the stuff to a surface that won't absorb it and see how long it takes to evaporate. Or flush it out with alcohol and wait a few hours for the alcohol to evaporate.

Never use unknown stuff from a company that doesn't even understand its own products when cheaper alcohol will work just as well. Arctic Silver just wants people to worry so it can create a dependence on its overpriced products.

Are you kidding? Their prices aren't out of leauge with other moderate to good performance thermal pastes. There may be more fashionable or debatabley "better" thermal interface materials available... But Artic Silver was a pioneer in the early 2000's and it literally took years for others to catch up, and also produce pastes that don't just perform well but also stand the test of time (pump out used to be a big issue).

Colin and Nevin both work for Artic Silver, and are members in good standing here. If you don't like the products that is your right, but you really don't have any grounds to attack the ethics of the company.

As for Artic Clean, if you haven't tested it, I have tested it on various stock "gum" adhesive when its melted onto a heatsink/cpu, and it works better than plain old alcohol. Sure, you could save the money and use alcohol which works well enough, and I'd even recommend that for regular aftermarket paste... But the gummy stuff is a pain, and the Artic Clean is helpful making it a bit less painful.

As for AS products in general being overpriced, I would disagree compared to other products - it seems competitive, not the cheapest, not the most expensive... With well tested history of long term performance.

Also, don't trust any results you read from a site testing dozens of thermal pastes. Nearly without exception, their methods don't have the resolution necessary to test with the level of precision necessary when mosts pastes on the market perform within <3C (It's been shown that even toothpaste works pretty well, though doesn't last)

I have to say, I really think putting D-Limonene in something used to clean a CPU isn't smart. 100% removal is possible with fast evaporating, harmless isopropyl, which is incapable of leaving a residue. Limonene contains citric acid which is highly conductive. You can put some gashes in a lemon and run an electrical loop through it and power an incandescant bulb. That's JM2C. I'm not thread crapping.

Back