• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A B C

Current Specs
CPU- I7 950
Video Card-EVGA GTX 580 SC
Ram- 6gb Kingston Hyperx
PSU- 1250w OCZ ZX
Mobo-P6X58D-E
Case- Coolermaster CAV-t01
HDD- 1.5 TB Seagate Berracuda
SSD- 120 GB Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe
CD Drive-LG DVD/RW
Cooler- Coolermaster 212+

It's more like a far distant dream but I was thinking my future upgrades would include: I7 990x/995x, 24GB ram, EVGA GTX 580(to sli), EVGA Mobo(or other), BluRay Drive, another ssd(or hdd), maybe a different case, and I would like to water cool my system. Any suggestions on the order of purchasing, or and ideas for other upgrades?

Ivy bridge? Tbh I dont even think I heard about it. As for sandybridge I was originally going to build my computer off, based on the lga 1155 socket, however; at that time I heard they were frying mobos or something similar. I would consider switching over to sandybridge but it seems to me the lga 1366 socket has more potential/more stable.

Ivy bridge? Tbh I dont even think I heard about it. As for sandybridge I was originally going to build my computer off, based on the lga 1155 socket, however; at that time I heard they were frying mobos or something similar. I would consider switching over to sandybridge but it seems to me the lga 1366 socket has more potential/more stable.

the sandybridge mobos had a sata port issue, no frying, only frying was socket pins burning out but they were in early test samples, the only reason to go 1366 these days if you want a 980x or 990x, getting a 1366 quad would be a bad choice which you will probably get told many times on this forum.

I realize that the 2600k is better than the other quad cores, but how big of a difference between that and the 990x other then the $700 difference?

I realize that the 2600k is better than the other quad cores, but how big of a difference between that and the 990x other then the $700 difference?

the 990x is a hexacore 32nm, and the 2600k is a quad core 32nm, so there is a obvious advantage that it has more cores, but unless your doing 3d modelling and have stupid amounts of money, i would get the 2500k/2600k as they are the latest and greatest.

Haha I wonder why I even asked the question, when the answer was clear. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be switching over to a Sandybridge, and a lga 1155 mobo saving about $1000+. But as for the order of my purchases, any idea of what should come first-last?

Upgrading from X58 to P67 is a complete waste of money, IMO.
I would go with:
1. Case
2. Water + SLI (or SLI later, but you'd have to modify your loop to accommodate)
3. BluRay Drive
4. PCIe SSD

I would wait until at least Ivy Bridge, probably longer before upgrading an i7-9xx.

Back