• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking opinion on PC upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JRHT

Registered
As documented here (https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-help-with-PC-that-spontaneously-doesn-t-boot), I've had some issues with my PC that will necessitate a replacement of the Mobo, CPU and RAM.

I'm planning to buy the following:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU: i7-8086k
RAM: TBD

I will then use the following parts of my existing rig:
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC 8GB
Case: Silverstone Raven RV02-EW
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
Storage: Samsung SSD 2.5" 7mm SATA 52GB 850 PRO
Storage: Samsung 3TB drive (unsure of model)

I don't plan on overclocking anything. I do tend to play Skyrim and Fallout 4 that are both modded to hell and also expect to be flogging Fallout 76 when that comes out.

Can any one give me help about:
1. Does the choice of Mobo and CPU cause any alarm bells to ring?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions for what RAM to buy (I'm thinking 2x8GB will be sufficient)

Thanks!

I don't see any issues with your MB and CPU choices. I don't care for all the flashing lights but that's my problem not yours.

Since your board supports dual channel 2x RAM is perfect. 2x 8 GB will also be great. 8 GB might be enough but on the border line to my way of thinking so 16 should carry you through for a few years. In terms of which RAM to buy, as long as it meets the speed requirements for your board, you should be fine. Stick with a known good brand name (and there are lots of them abound) and you should be fine.

I agree with the 8700k advice. However, I would go one step further, and see if you can change the mobo/cpu combo to an 8700 vanilla, and spend more on the video card. Especially since you are not going to overclock... there is no point in purchasing the K. The money would be better spent towards the video card.

I thought about this as well, however his GPU is a carryover and already purchased. To that end, I went with the K for the faster clocks. :)

I think the 8700K would be worth it for faster clocks, resell value, and you never know you might decide to overclock.

The motherboard is overkill. I'd look at the Gigabyte Gaming 3 or Gaming 5.
Gaming 3 has 5 fan headers, Gaming 5 and 7 have 7 fan headers.
Gaming 3 has 2 M.2 slots, Gaming 5 and 7 have 3 M.2 slots.
Gaming 3 and 5 have 1 LAN, Gaming 7 has 2 LAN ports.
Gaming 5 has Wifi and Bluetooth.
Gaming 7 has buttons for Power, Reset, Auto OC, and CMOS Clear.
VRM is better on Gaming 5 and Best on Gaming 7, but none of them are bad and you aren't overclocking.

For memory 2x8GB DDR4-3200 is good, but sometimes you can get DDR4-3600 for just a tad more. Newegg right now has G.Skill 3200 for $135 and G.Skill 3600 is $140.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I'm having some issues sourcing the Gaming 7 motherboard locally and I was thinking of getting the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI-OP instead.

Given that I'd have both an SSD and an older HDD, I thought the Optane feature could be useful. Any thoughts?

eh, don't worry with optane.
you can look at the 8600K also, most people don't use the ht anyway.
anything faster than a basic sata ssd is pretty much a waste of money as you only see any good of it at boot.

Why would you want (or need) to accelerate that (you wouldn't)? I wouldn't use optane if that is your primary use for accelerating the drive.

Honestly, most any motherboard will be fine in that midrange bucket. Just be sure it fits your price, has the features you need, and look you want. :)

Back