• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer problems in ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigjim21

Registered
so i installed ubuntu 10.10 on my aunts pc because they were tired of windows after going from a mac. i installed and updated everything that i could for them including the printer. It will print test pages just fine and will send the print job to the printer but the printer will only give back a blank page. I spent a good part of the day troubleshooting the thing but had the same issue no matter what i did to it. i read post after post from all around the web trying to figure out what to do but with no luck

the printer is a hp-psc 1210 all in one on ubuntu 10.10.
I followed instructions from everything i could to get it to work so at this point it is all kind of a blur as to what i tried (lol sorry i know that is no help) but i did not spend 5 minutes on it and gave up hoping someone will give me the answer i tried for a few hours before i had to give up because my wife was bugging me to come home.

I am not sure what info you will need from me for this so please ask what ever you need to know and i will get the info as soon as i can and post it up as i said it is my aunts pc and that is the only issue with it at this point. I did make sure the printers was supported by linux so i know that is not the problem

I am not the best with ubuntu but i do know how to use google but this time it did not help. if you can point me to a place for more info i can walk them through it on the phone and post up results here for what ever is needed to be done

Thanks for your time

I also figured the drivers were working because it would print the test page but i uninstalled them a few times thinking i forgot something and just wanted to make sure i had everything right... thank you for the reply i will see if the hpijs driver will atleast get them basic printing for now i will let you know how it goes tomorrow when i can get over there or get one of them to install it

Make sure you have hplip installed. It should have been installed automatically, but it has the drivers and utilities you need.

I do have hplip installed. it was the only one i seen for it. hp's website sent me to that one
I havent made it back over there yet to install the hpijs driver yet but should have time this weekend i hope. anyway thanks for the input guys

I had to install hplip files from the HP website before my HP worked properly. The repo's had outdated files that were just old enough to not work.

On a different note, if they like mac's have a peak at Natty 11.04. Unity is pretty slick now that I have it up and going. I am going to try and do a write up for Unity vs Gnome 3 if I can get gnome 3 in a vm to work

I got hplip from the website after it didnt work right the first time... 11.04 looks pretty nice is there a way to just update to it from 10.10? i dont want to have to wipe all there stuff off again.

There are instructions here The instructions are for the Alpha but following the same steps will get the latest build as it has moved from alpha a while ago.

thank you very much... im waiting to get my other pc back from my brother in law right now to and as soon as i do windows is coming off it and this is going on lol

Back