• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried My 2.2 Northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I got a little greedy and decided to wire wrap for 1.85 volts and shoot for 3GHz. I spent most of the morning wrapping the pins and finally got the chip back in and remounted my water block. I fired it up and everything looked good for a while. The mobo was supplying 1.83 volts. The temp was a little higher, but not bad. I bumped the FSB up to 133 and it booted normally @ 2926. I figured I would let Seti run for a little while to check for stability. I guess it had been going for about 40 minutes when all of the sudden the speakers made a loud pop and it looked like the system had reset. Well to make a long story short it won't post anymore. I've cleared the cmos and tried everything I can think of. When I hit power the lights come on and the fans spin up, but it never will post or beep any error codes. Looks like it's completely dead :( I don't know if something shorted out. I thought I did a careful job with the wire wrap. I suppose I'll pull the chip out and remove the wire. Maybe that will get it going. Hope Batboy has better luck with his. So far I get the feeling 1.8 volts was just too much.

May I be the first person to offer $1 for it to use as a keychain?

Sry to hear about the news... if your lucky like me throw it in a drawer for over half a year and that will get it going again... just like my duron 750 which seems to be maxed at 981.6 @1.85v time to volt-mod my board.

If its a retail unit, you could RMA it to Intel, stating it just failed. I doubt very much they can tell if its been overvolted deliberatly.

TC said:
I got a little greedy and decided to wire wrap for 1.85 volts and shoot for 3GHz. I spent most of the morning wrapping the pins and finally got the chip back in and remounted my water block. I fired it up and everything looked good for a while. The mobo was supplying 1.83 volts. The temp was a little higher, but not bad. I bumped the FSB up to 133 and it booted normally @ 2926. I figured I would let Seti run for a little while to check for stability. I guess it had been going for about 40 minutes when all of the sudden the speakers made a loud pop and it looked like the system had reset. Well to make a long story short it won't post anymore. I've cleared the cmos and tried everything I can think of. When I hit power the lights come on and the fans spin up, but it never will post or beep any error codes. Looks like it's completely dead :( I don't know if something shorted out. I thought I did a careful job with the wire wrap. I suppose I'll pull the chip out and remove the wire. Maybe that will get it going. Hope Batboy has better luck with his. So far I get the feeling 1.8 volts was just too much.

Good thing Intel has such a wonderful RMA system.

:D

I have another 1.8A to test the board with. I haven't pulled the cpu yet. I guess I'll take the wire off and see if that makes any difference. If not I guess it's officially dead. Hopefully I didn't lose the board too. It was an oem cpu though, so no RMA prospects.

Anonicle said:
If its a retail unit, you could RMA it to Intel, stating it just failed. I doubt very much they can tell if its been overvolted deliberatly.

Eh... I wouldn't do that. Intel will find out about it somehow. It's not the most ethical thing to do anyway.

Back to the chip... jazz is playin taps. It's a shame to hear about the death of a 2.2... I hope you can get it workin again.

TC said:
I got a little greedy and decided to wire wrap for 1.85 volts . So far I get the feeling 1.8 volts was just too much.

SORRY to hear that!!!!!:(

Just a word of CAUTION!! This is the second 2.2Ghz p4 of have heard about "Dying"....funny how you mention it was with the voltage at 1.8v+...the other user i know of who "Killed " his was @ 1.85v ( true reading) also.

And again same story as you he was shooting for that little bit extra to hit 3Ghz , he hit 3Ghz OK ..BUT it lasted for about 40min????

I was thinking of trying this ( wire trick) myself BUT i think i will be content with 2.8GHz @ 1.7v:)

Re: Re: Fried My 2.2 Northwood

ol' man said:

Good thing Intel has such a wonderful RMA system.

:D
would be nice, but i think that they will test the chip, and see if it was overclocked, and when they find out that it was, wont replace the chip, expecially if it was oem, but worth a try. i will take it off your hands for $20. though. sorry to hear about that, i did the mod yesterday and i was able to boot to 2600, and crashed when i ran 3dm2001, i wasnt giving it enough juice. at 2500 load, it was running at 58' w/seti, so i dropped it back down to 2300, i am getting a VC this week and i will wait till then to go for the max, hopefull i will be able to hit 31 or 32.:D again, sorry to hear about that.:(

Bummer sorry to hear about that! what exactly do you wrap to get your Voltage up? my Iwill does it through bios... Jim :burn:

Oops! TC, sorry to hear the tragic news (may your Northwood rest in peace). Let's bow our heads in a moment of silence.

I had a little better luck with my VID pinning attempt today. I finally reached my goal of 2.6 gig. I know that's not as great as going for 3 gig, but I'm quite pleased, nevertheless. Read about my overclocking adventure in my post called "Northwood Vid pinning (part 2)".

Batboy has 1.85vcore with air and TC had it with water, it should be working fine when the wire comes out, lets hope it didn't short anything out!

Re: Re: Re: Fried My 2.2 Northwood

jdmcnudgent said:
would be nice, but i think that they will test the chip, and see if it was overclocked, and when they find out that it was, wont replace the chip, expecially if it was oem, but worth a try. i will take it off your hands for $20. though. sorry to hear about that, i did the mod yesterday and i was able to boot to 2600, and crashed when i ran 3dm2001, i wasnt giving it enough juice. at 2500 load, it was running at 58' w/seti, so i dropped it back down to 2300, i am getting a VC this week and i will wait till then to go for the max, hopefull i will be able to hit 31 or 32.:D again, sorry to hear about that.:(

Shhhh, don't tell intel I sent them a hacked up and scratched tualatin PIII as also a 1.2GHz cel-t which burn't up cause I didn't have the HS sitting right on it. Yes this can burn them up at high vcores. Make sure you have the best contact before firing it up. I usually check this in the bios at a lower speed and vcore.

It's OKAY!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) Beats me what the hell happened - I took the wires off and put it back in the same board. I cleared the cmos and it posted like nothing had ever happened. Is there some voltage lock out built into the bios? :eh?:

TC said:
It's OKAY!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) Beats me what the hell happened - I took the wires off and put it back in the same board. I cleared the cmos and it posted like nothing had ever happened. Is there some voltage lock out built into the bios? :eh?:

I had a feeling it would work.

You going to try the volt mod again

Batboy - tell me more about this hacked bios for the TH7....I'm thinking of swapping boards and seeing how far that will get me without doing this wire wrapping stuff. It worked for me with a socket 423 chip, but I'm not taking any more chances.

The wrap is scary stuff, I would try the pin hole method. Don;t be a chicken! Also i want to know about your buddy with dual 1.2GHz cel-t's. Is it still working?

Back