• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried My 2.2 Northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hallelujah, may the overclocking gawds be praised. The mighty Northwood arises from the grave. These Intel CPUs are tough critters. I've been amazed at what abuse some of mine have survived. Obviously, they are not indestructable though.

TC, the mysterious hacked BIOS file (some people are calling it a beta BIOS) that I'm using is for the Abit TH7-II and it allows vcore settings up to 1.85v. I really don't know much about it, except it seems to work ok. PM me with your email and I'll send you a present.

Last edited:
Actually, Ol' Man, I think TC did use the pin hole method. The problem is that with the Northwood is, if you want to go higher than 1.7v, you have to connect either 3 or 4 pins. That gets sort of tricky sticking multible wires down into one pin hole. It's much easy connecting just two holes, for 1.7v default. This is the third CPU that I've wire wrapped the VID pins. I'm more comfortable doing that than prying off the heat spreaders like you've been doing... lol. To each their own I guess.

I'm wondering did you guys take off the IHS off the P4? I think those Swiftech would work way better touching the core as its fairly heavy in the first place and more heat transfer.

I've thought about it several times, but just don't have the gonads to yank it off. More than one person has ruined their chip doing that. Besides, as big and heavy as this Swifty cooler is, I like having the IHS there to protect the CPU core.

Wow, you guys have been so lucky...I've lost a lot of hardware
lately to just bad luck hard ware failures. I almost wish I could
say it was me, but hard drives dying, system boards dropping
5v to 4.33v, and my new KR7A just not holding CMOS data.

Odd thing, I've gone about 6 years before this all started
catching up to me without losing a single piece of hardware!!

I did use the pin hole method. It was a pain finding fine enough wire. First I tried some single strand from an old psu cable. That was way too big. I finally called a friend who used to be an electronic repair tech. He had some 30 gauge stuff. Boy was it a pain to work with. Prying the IHS off - now that's what I call scary. I think my water block is doing just fine to keep the chip at 93F under full load at 2.75GHz. I've had my fair share of fried chips over the past few months. XP's are cheap to replace. I'm not taking any more unecessary risks with a $500 chip.

I was starting to feel bad for you that the chip cooked but later down the thread i see you got it back up and running.
I'm telling you i have thought i've gone to high on overclocks in the past with my water cooling/ peltiers and fried the chips but only to find out after playing around they came back to life.
You guys have to admit Intel chips are hard to kill at least from my experiences.
By the way I did fry a P4 1.7 4 months ago from overclocking and i RMAed it and i don't feel guilty about Intel replacing it. Stupid chip should of took the max volts i put through it! LOL! Besides they can afford it. Also i consider us here at OC.com their extreme testers of the chip manufactures products and other hardware.

I've heard that you can burn transistors witout actually burning the CPU.. is that true? .. which means, some transistors on the CPU architecture "too technical LOL" can actually get burned but the CPU will still function.. did you notice any lack in performance? .. let me tell you one thing here, I can't afford losing my 2.2 northy! :D .. you're lucky!

Burning Phoenix said:
I was starting to feel bad for you that the chip cooked but later down the thread i see you got it back up and running.
I'm telling you i have thought i've gone to high on overclocks in the past with my water cooling/ peltiers and fried the chips but only to find out after playing around they came back to life.
You guys have to admit Intel chips are hard to kill at least from my experiences.
By the way I did fry a P4 1.7 4 months ago from overclocking and i RMAed it and i don't feel guilty about Intel replacing it. Stupid chip should of took the max volts i put through it! LOL! Besides they can afford it. Also i consider us here at OC.com their extreme testers of the chip manufactures products and other hardware.
Yeah they're tough alright. About a year ago I was checking my farm and found my first P4 rig was down. I went to it manually and discovered it had rebooted and for some reason had gone into the bios. I exited and tried to reboot. Windows gave me a bsod on reboot, so I reset and went back into the bios. About that time I noticed the lack of noise from the delta fan I had adpated to the heatsink. I went into the bios again and checked the hardware monitor. The chip was around 200F. I yanked the plug and later on found out the fan's power adapter cord was bad and had lost connection. The chip was just running with a passive heatsink. Of course I guess the throttling had kicked in to save it, but 200* is pretty damn hot either way!

TC said:
Yeah they're tough alright. About a year ago I was checking my farm and found my first P4 rig was down. I went to it manually and discovered it had rebooted and for some reason had gone into the bios. I exited and tried to reboot. Windows gave me a bsod on reboot, so I reset and went back into the bios. About that time I noticed the lack of noise from the delta fan I had adpated to the heatsink. I went into the bios again and checked the hardware monitor. The chip was around 200F. I yanked the plug and later on found out the fan's power adapter cord was bad and had lost connection. The chip was just running with a passive heatsink. Of course I guess the throttling had kicked in to save it, but 200* is pretty damn hot either way!

man no kidding! I once had a cpu without a fan and the heatsink got so hot, I could almost smell something burning. i touched it and slightly burnt my finger :( my guess is 180 degrees

Back