• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever used an Antec DF-30 to W/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dan_ep82

Hi,
I'm really keen to get my pc watercooled when I upgrade in the next few weeks but I'm slightly worried that it may not work with the my current system (antec dark fleet df-30).
I've only just bought the case and don't want to change yet but If the rig just leaves it so that its awkward/in-effective at using a W/C set up I may change to the HAF X (I understand this is a decent case for W/C?)

Also if you can see how it would work,could you elaborate as to the type I should go for and positioning etc as im completely new to it.

A picture to help
Antec_DF_30_Inside.jpg

I will be using an ATX mobo with 2 HD6870's and more tan likely at least 1 PCI card.
No more than 2 internal HDD's which can be placed on the top of the rack and 3 DVD drives on the very top leaving the bottom free for the reservoir?
Only problem I see is that idea is the reservoir not being visible?

Also where would be the best vendor in Ireland/UK?

Looks are as much involved in this as cooling,a wee bit sad I know but I like cool looking pc's:clap:

IF you've gotten this far thanks for reading,appreciate it

Dan

Hi,

I had a df-30 prior to my antec 900, I have a swiftech 120.2 mounted in the front and it worked out well. I started to run out of room though because of poor choice on tube size (I went with 1/2" id) and found it got hard to work with. I started to loose a ton of room once I did both GTX 280's in SLI. It was very cramped but doable. I had to mount another 120.2 rad on the outside when it was all said and done. I was pushing it with 120.2 on a q6600 @ 4.2 and 2 gtx 280s OC'd. I ran into the same issues on the antec 900 as well after I moved from the df-30.

There isn't really room for any internal watercooling except a teeny 120x1 rad on the back fan. You could cut and mod the case to fit a smallish rad in the front. There is NO room up top for a rad, the mobo is too close to the top.

Your BIG problem is the amount of rad you'll be needing.

You'll need a 120x3 AND a 120x2 to cool all of that. FEW cases have that much room. Without major cutting and slicing.

Ready made cases are the likes of Danger Den and Mountain Mods.

The HAFx isn't a great watercooling case. Great for air cooling.

The Corsair 800D is a great watercooling case and with a bit of work can nicely fit a 120x3 up top and a 120x2 at the bottom. More than a few build logs here with that case.

Please start with the stickies up top, they probably would of answered some of your questions already.

Thanks to both of you,I'll have a look at the stickies now.

Also I see I phrased the first post wrong,I only mentioned the x-fire set up to give an idea of space,I wasn't planning on using water on them.

This will effect your post i take it?

You'll need a 120x2 rad at a minimum then. Many good options. Not that hard to do, maybe BluJ has some pics or guidance, if he got a 120x2 in the front, you can too.

Be warned, once you start watercooling, you'll be adding the GPUs to water, so plan ahead............

Will do,thanks for the advice,appreciate it :)

@ Bluj - Have you any pictures of the WC setup you had?

I have only pics of my antec 900 but let me post a couple for you to give you an idea, I lost HDD mounting room but got crafty on the drive mounting.

Keep in mind this case has been sitting now for about 3 month's in a basement closet, but I'm going to clean it up this weekend :) :rock:. This was my antec 900 but I had the same exact mounting in the df. I did have a rad leak issue with an o ring early on, that's the rust :/

I had the MCP355 mounted at the bottom on vibration padding, and mounted the micro-res up top, and the second 120.2 was rear mounted externally.

Hope this helps.

If they're still for sale, you can pretty easily fit a 3x120 and 2x120 in a Cosmos S case. You have to lose some 5.25" and 3.5" slots, but everything fits fine in my setup. The triple rad is up top in this picture:
IMG_1894.jpg

Thanks for all the advice,i'll look into it in more depth and post back here on what I go forward with :)

Back