• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Out My Waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

I'm getting ready to break down my loop and clean all the parts. I only have one small question; Is there a good way to clean the blocks without having to to take them apart? I don't want to void the warranties on them and I'm not sure what I should put through them to help clean them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vinager or rubbing alcohol are the two things I've read...but I'm planning to take mine apart to clean them...warranties are over-rated :screwy: :p

Vinager or rubbing alcohol are the two things I've read...but I'm planning to take mine apart to clean them...warranties are over-rated :screwy: :p

Warranty? What's a warranty?:p

In all seriousness, you are better off taking them apart. It's the only way to know for sure that you got all the gunk out of them.

Running hot water through them might be sufficient, depending on the buildup. If they appear clean already, hot water and rinse with distilled will work. If they need a little extra oomph you could fill them with vinegar for a few minutes and rinse with hot water and distilled again.

Voiding the warranty on a block is not a big deal though, I haven't heard of many waterblock RMAs over the years.

Twiggy? How long has the loop been active?

Probably your warrenty is long gone. You have had no leaks or problems since the day it was bought. So the manufacturer/seller of the blocks is clear of having to deal with it.

The orings in the CPU blocks are fine, if you have a GPU block the orings are a pain to put back, but with care and pantence you'll do fine. I ordered new oring sets for my 470 GPU blocks, but I'm like that.

You NEED to do the one year tear down unless you have issues.

What to do, Well, this link I'm sure you read at least once and the stickies will guide you to a full cleaning.... Don't fret it, give yourself 2-3 days. It's fun!
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Well, read my article. You schedule the time, you enjoy the moments of quiet (umm wireless headphones with great music) while you tinker and play. The ful kitchen is yours, you already planned to order pizza and china food for 2 days. And breakfast is right down the street at McBreakfast/McDoughnut/McBurrito

My 470 log, maybe you see it differently in life. I got no kids, all grown up, work is 40hrs, been married forever.
You got 13 kids, the ex called, the 3 girlfriends need love, can't help those issues. :shock:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643159
Post 19...........

I've tried white vinegar and the ketchup method. Personally, I've had better luck with vinegar. I let my copper block soak in the vinegar for around an hour and scrub it with an old toothbrush. Now, mine never get as shiny as they are brand new, but it cleans up pretty nicely.

Back