• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIe port dead after GPU OC session gone awry (ASRock 870 Extreme3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pygy

Hello,

I have a problem one out of the two PICe x16 ports of an ASRock 870 Extreme 3.

I was trying to OC a Radeon HD 5970 and went too high. The GPU overheated, and the card went in what I guess is "protection mode" (ie black out and fan at max speed) until I rebooted. This occurred twice in a row.

Ever since, the PCIe x16 slot which held the card doesn't work anymore with any graphic card. The OCed card itself is fine though (I tested it in the other PCI x16 at a lower frequency).

I didn't change any mobo / CPU / Bus setting.

Any advice to get it back in shape would be welcome.

Thanks in advace,
--pygy

Last edited:
i dunno what to think here, but on first read, i thought u might of took the voltage on the slot too high, therefore busting the slot, but dont quote me on that im not an expert

No, I didn't change any Motherboard / Bus / CPU setting. (I've edited the first post to reflect that).

Still, thanks for your reply :)

kool :), sorry i couldnt help u out, but best of luck with ur problem, but it sounds like to me u got 2 PCI-E x16 slots, so u can still use ur pc as u did before, but still best of luck sorting it :)

Actually, I have two Radeon HD 5970... I use them (well, now just one) to mine Bitcoins.

See if resetting the bios will clear it.

Unplug the psu from wall. Press and hold PWR button to discharge remaining current held in the caps. Remove cmos battery from motherboard (looks like a coin) and just let it sit like that for a bit (5-15min).

Place the battery back in, plug the psu back into wall and wait a minute or so, then power up. You may have to set all your settings back to their defaults.

If this fails to make said PCIE slot to work again, then it's a confirmed kill and you may have to send motherboard in for RMA.

There's actually a "reset CMOS" switch in the back pannel of the MB...

Does this mean that the card is defective, or did I do something I shouldn't have done?

There's actually a "reset CMOS" switch in the back pannel of the MB...

Does this mean that the card is defective, or did I do something I shouldn't have done?

Unsure. You may have just gone "too far" on the OC. Your best bet is to remove the battery and reset the cmos the old fashion way. Just using the reset bios switch will only clear certain settings.

The card may/may not be defective until you test it in another pc.

I followed your procedure, the slot is dead.

I meant "is the board defiective" with board as in motherboard (it's "mother card" in French)... The Radeon is working fine in the other PCIe port of the same mother board.

My question was, is frying PCIe slot a known side effect of OC'ing a GPU without messing with the mother board settings?

I had never heard of this...

Only thing I've read is overvolting the PCIE slot, but this will kill both the video card and the PCIE slot. I've never personally done this.

There is no known repairs to the PCIE slot. Looks like RMA time.

Ok then. I didn't change the voltages, so I guess I won't have trouble to get it replaced.

Thanks for your help :)

Back