• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 on 680i lt o.c.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shapic33

Hello everyone this is my first post on this site. I need a little help. Im trying to overclock to 3.5GHz and it is all stable until i run prime95 for a couple mins, any idea what i should do next? Right now i have it at a 1.3565 vcore, unlinked 1556MHz and ram at 675Mhz and spp and fsb volt are at 1.5v, and ram at 1.9v. and i do have a pencil mod its pretty close to the actual imput #.

any help would be nice. thank you

I have a qx6700 B3. If your q6600 is also a B3 it should get similar results as I. If you have a G0 revision expect better results than B3 (G0 will run a bit cooler).
To run 3.33GHz I use a bus speed of 416MHz (1666 rated) on a 1.344 vcore.
To run 3.466MHz I used 8x multiplier with a fsb of 433.3MHz (1733 rated) with a vcore of 1.400.
With 3.6Ghz I needed to use a vcore of 1.45 so probably 3.5ghz would be somewhere in between 1.4 and 1.45.
As for fsb voltages my cpu FSB voltage I used for those high fsb clocks was around 1.5v like yours.
Also if your motherboard has VDroop in the voltage settings I'd disable it.

Since your not being able to get though prime95 you should up the cpu voltage (vcore) a few ticks and try again while watching the temps. Probably can go right to 1.38v from where your at now and start going up if unstable.
Keep nudging it up a few notches at a time until it seems stable. Then what I like to do is run prime for 12 hours and if it gets though it I back down the cpu voltage one increment each time for 12 hour prime95 tests until it fails again then put it up 2 increments from there.

Last edited:
Stable Q6600 3.5 OC on air (hw specs at end of post)

Prime95 sometimes threw my system off - one of the moderators recommended wPrime and cinebench - I found they worked more reliably at marginal overclocks.

9X389
Vcore: 1.4875
Sys Mem Multiplier 2.00
PCI Express Frequency: 101
Ram = 555-18
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: +.1v
PCI-E OverVoltage Control: +.1v
FSB OverVoltage Control: +.1v
(G) MCH OverVotage Control: +.1v

well im at a vcore of 1.31875 for a 3.3Ghz and that is a stable o.c. so I was thinking not to much further for a 3.5 i tried 1.4v but the temps are to high I think im going to give wprime a try, at a 3.3Ghz my load temps dont get over 60c to 63c, I just lapped it 2 weeks ago so im hoping my temps will drop after the AS5 sets in my idle temps are only around 27-33c on 3.3Ghz, but ill give wprime a shot and ill put my temps, and vcore if i get it stable, thanks for the help so far

I also notice on wprime you can add upto 256 threads is that what i want to use when i stress test my system because i just used the 4 thread 1024m and it ran on 3.5Ghz at 1.35625 vcore with out any errors

Im ok with load temps <75C idle @ 50C - totally stable and if I'm shortening life by 20-30% (a WAG admittedly) - so what? When was the last time anyone heard of a cpu wearing out on its own? HDs and fans - even memory and video cards will go south much much faster. So if an OC'd chip and/or mobo will only last 7 yrs instead of ten? I dont expect to keep a build half that long. If you raise the temps/voltage beyond the design limits, expect a relatively rapid demise - if not, you've beaten the devil. Still, I suppose I could try lowering vCore, but thats fine tuning to save for a rainy day

Disclaimer - the foregoing is based entirely on zero technical data/expertise.

ok my pc just rebooted after 10mins of playing prototype, so why does wprime say its good but while gaming it isnt?

you may need to run the vCore up to 1.45-ish volts. On my qx6700 anything past 3.4ghz requires big jumps in voltage
While running prime95 keep an eye on the temps
these little B3 toasters like to leap from 75 right into the high 80s

Ya need a pretty decent cooler for these to clock over 3.33ghz

just a note, to get maximum load temps out of prime95 i choose small TTFs
Do that and it should get your temps going up with lots of load. That'll test your o.c a bit better. For everything else there is OCCT

Last edited:
My results with the 2 G0 stepping Q6600s I had were pretty much the same as the Colonel's results. Once you hit a certain point (which varies between procs), it will take big jumps in vcore to up the overclock. One of them took around 1.55 v and was pretty much topped out as far as highest stable 24/7/365 overclock to get to 3.6, whereas the other could go to 3.7 with less than 1.5 volts vcore and could have run around 3.75 for a 24/7/365 overclock at the same vcore. And the Q6600 turns into a real heat monster once you start upping the vcore over about 1.4 volts or so and needs high end air cooling to keep it comfortable. It's not too hard to get them outputting over 200 watts heatload when overclocking them significantly.

Back