• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build critique before i order

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkm1687

Registered
Hello friends.

So i decided to go with 2 new builds insteada fixing my old machine, Heres the two setups im planning hopefully not forgetting anything, any tips or suggestions would be awesome.

The first one is mine which ill use mostly for playing games. heres a link to the wishlist.. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16589425

And heres the 2nd one for the wife mainly facebook/WOW, i have my 460gtx card and a dvd drive so i dont need either of those for this build. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16610125

Thanks again and input is appreciated

Last edited:
Thanks :) anything i should change around or they are solid as is?

Looks good.

You can maybe get a stock 560ti unless you prefer that cooler and save a few bucks. Grab some Mx-2 thermal compound, though AS5 isnt bad at all.

1. Look for combos when you order. I know you can get the Spinpoint F3 and any Corsair PSU, and you can usually get the CPU and motherboard as a combo. Just browse around, the extra hour is worth saving the $30 or $40.

2. Personally, I would go with the Antec 300 Illusion, a lot more fan power for only $10 more.

3. For the WoW build, remember that it's only threaded for up to three cores. For about the same price, a low-end Sandy Bridge build (i3-2100) might perform better. Might just be pointless, as both setups would probably max out the game with a 460.

may sound odd but try changing out your Artic Silver 5 for the new Artic MMX Paste, tried myself and has reduced the heat a bit more than 5 and have been using this on RRoD Xbox 360s to help transfer the heat out quicker and so far great results on the reoccuring ones non back yet

^+1 on going to Arctic cooling (not arctic silver) paste. Never used MMX. Have used MX2 and 4 and find them a lot better than AS5. Also, you can find a 9 series board for that AMD build for about the same price as that 8 series board. This would offer ALL SATA 6gbps as well as supporting AM3+ cpus in the future. They may both prove to be things you never use but if you can get the options for $0 extra, why not?

Back