• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build, Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I feel you guys are weighing budget more than necessity. You really don't need an i7/z97 to play world of warcraft.

As far as the kaveri, benchmarks show around 40fps on high settings. Barring that, an i3 and 750ti certainly will accomplish her goals.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" somewhat applies here

Since MC is a possibility, I would probably lean towards 4690K/Z97 $305 combo. An 8350\990FX would be tempting but I would have to recommend after market cooler with it vs the 4690K if your not OC'ing you can get away with stock.

No reason not to get a 250GB Evo, $140 is easily worthwhile.

Mixed reviews on that case\psu combo. I just never trust buying those together, plus not sure how good the OP is at building and that case could be challenging. Since his original list was full size ATX and a pretty big mid-tower can't think size is an issue.

Mixed reviews on a case/PSU combo from a company that's lately brought some of the best PSUs to the market?

I feel you guys are weighing budget more than necessity. You really don't need an i7/z97 to play world of warcraft.

As far as the kaveri, benchmarks show around 40fps on high settings. Barring that, an i3 and 750ti certainly will accomplish her goals.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" somewhat applies here

I would still keep it to an i5, there's no reason to drop to a dual core on an $800 budget.

"Always get the best you can afford" - Me.

That said, are we the ones that are weighing more on budget when others select an APU when they can afford better? I'm a bit confused...

Well, a lot of people are ignorant (no offense to OP) and feel they "need" to spend 1000 dollars to get a decent computer.

Do you really need a 1000$ computer to do what she's wanted to do? No, not even close. "Everyday computing and light gaming".

I'm simply giving options for what would suit that build in her best interest. A i5 4670k is a wonderful processor. Is it so good that we should overlook the VERY mild gaming and ever day activities my 6 year laptops can accomplish?

If she's dead set on spending 1000$ when 650$ would cut it, that's absolutely fine and I'm on board with that. Always easier to spend someone else's money.

An i3 with a 750ti would play all her games maxed out with good frame rates. My intel e5800 and 7750 maxed out WoW.....

Edit: I will admit, I first read the OP and saw "800-1000$" and "gaming". Tunnel vision, basically.

if it's a budget, surfing machine you could just get an m5a97 R2.0, a 965, a gtx 760, a good 500 watt psu and a mid tower case and be cooking for pretty cheap.
add a 128 gb ssd and 500gb hdd.

Well, a lot of people are ignorant (no offense to OP) and feel they "need" to spend 1000 dollars to get a decent computer.

Do you really need a 1000$ computer to do what she's wanted to do? No, not even close. "Everyday computing and light gaming".

I'm simply giving options for what would suit that build in her best interest. A i5 4670k is a wonderful processor. Is it so good that we should overlook the VERY mild gaming and ever day activities my 6 year laptops can accomplish?

If she's dead set on spending 1000$ when 650$ would cut it, that's absolutely fine and I'm on board with that. Always easier to spend someone else's money.

An i3 with a 750ti would play all her games maxed out with good frame rates. My intel e5800 and 7750 maxed out WoW.....

Edit: I will admit, I first read the OP and saw "800-1000$" and "gaming". Tunnel vision, basically.

This is exactly why the i5/750Ti build came in at ~$750 with the OS included.

The i3 will get long in the tooth pretty quickly if she picks up a new game or two, where as the i5 will hold its own for longer.

This is exactly why the i5/750Ti build came in at ~$750 with the OS included.

The i3 will get long in the tooth pretty quickly if she picks up a new game or two, where as the i5 will hold its own for longer.

Then you can argue the 750ti will get underwhelming. Theres a line in the sand somewhere lol.

My whole point to all this, is look at her initial build. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess she asked on youtube or some place like reddit and got overwhelmed with "you need a 3770k and a 10k Raptor drive and a 1000w psu!"

(those are things she had on her first build.... still has that raptor drive on there lol)

We're all being a-holes and assuming she has a 1080p monitor as well.

Then you can argue the 750ti will get underwhelming. Theres a line in the sand somewhere lol.

My whole point to all this, is look at her initial build. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess she asked on youtube or some place like reddit and got overwhelmed with "you need a 3770k and a 10k Raptor drive and a 1000w psu!"

(those are things she had on her first build.... still has that raptor drive on there lol)

We're all being a-holes and assuming she has a 1080p monitor as well.

Please remember that MMOs are actually fairly CPU bound.
Look at the WOW benchmark here. The CPUs are Sandy Bridge, but the same difference will apply to the new generations.
2c/4t is over 25% slower than 4c/4t there.

Are you trying to convince me here? I Agree with you, I really do. Im also saying 94.1 FPS is PROBABLY "good enough" lol

That was old gen anyway. If an i3 2100 (I have no idea what that even is lol) could get 94.1, whats a haswell going to produce?

Even now, look at performance difference on big titles like bioshock infinite

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1192

edit: and for the love of god, Im not saying "OMG GET THE i3!" Im saying lets take a breath and go after what OP really needs vs just looking at the carte blanche budget.

Bioshock isn't an MMO though and is less CPU bound than MMO's. Kind of apples and oranges there to me...

Anyway, I think the underlying point here is that while going under budget and filling needs is a good thing, so is still being under budget with better hardware more capable of playing current and more importantly, future titles better than an APU or a dual core, is seemingly a better thing.

We have given the OP plenty of information... as always it is up to him(her?) to decide at this point. :)

Are you trying to convince me here? I Agree with you, I really do. Im also saying 94.1 FPS is PROBABLY "good enough" lol

That was old gen anyway. If an i3 2100 (I have no idea what that even is lol) could get 94.1, whats a haswell going to produce?

Even now, look at performance difference on big titles like bioshock infinite

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1192

FPS =/= MMO in terms of CPU performance on gaming.

About the time she picks up a new MMO (Wildstar for instance) that i3 will be brought to its knees.

Eh, you guys are talkin to a guy that spent a year deciding on a graphics card... then bought a used one :rofl:

Yet again, Im NOT disagreeing with the i5, I'm just saying there are more options than just that.

I'm just saying there are more options than just that.
Nobody has ever said there weren't other options. We are just saying there are BETTER options for the money and STILL be able to get under the budget. No APU, no i3 here for the uses and budget listed. We are not saying bang off the high end of the budget either. ATM has listed superior performing parts nearly $200 under budget.

Again, its up to the OP to figure things out now.. spinning our tires on this stuff is getting tiresome to read, LOL!

Nobody has ever said there weren't other options. We are just saying there are BETTER options for the money and STILL be able to get under the budget. No APU, no i3 here for the uses and budget listed. We are not saying bang off the high end of the budget either. ATM has listed superior performing parts nearly $200 under budget.

Again, its up to the OP to figure things out now.. spinning our tires on this stuff is getting tiresome to read, LOL!

Im really wanting the OP to chime in again honestly.

And I totally didn't see ATM's build (just read it, love it). I see 4690's, SSD's, and expensive cases being thrown around casually simply to "Fit the budget".

As the musings in this thread, and in other similar threads show, everybody has their own two cents...

Move on until we hear back is my best advice... the smell of burning rubber is making me ill. hehehe.

As the musings in this thread, and in other similar threads show, everybody has their own two cents...

Move on until we hear back is my best advice... the smell of burning rubber is making me ill. hehehe.

Right you are :grouphug:

I agree, enough time spent.

Last comment though, the Hadron really isn't overpriced when you consider that a 1U 500W Gold PSU of any decent quality is $90+ easily and a good case is AT LEAST $50 :)

I agree, enough time spent.

Last comment though, the Hadron really isn't overpriced when you consider that a 1U 500W Gold PSU of any decent quality is $90+ easily and a good case is AT LEAST $50 :)

Its a nice case, but I've had and worked with micro and mini itx plenty to know it can be a pain to build even for experienced builders. When I said mixed reviews, yeah the ones that went like this tend to worry me a little (not alot but a little):

"Cons: Wow where should I start they my wife about had a heart attack when this firecracker started going off the power supply started popping so loud it was crazy it shot sparks out catching a newspaper it was sitting on on fire and smoke was just rolling out of the case all this after about 30sec of running it cook every part that was pluged into it"

"Cons: cables are actually extremely short... usb 3.0 does not even reach motherboards port. FRONT GLASS HAS SCRATCHES! That is a major let down! the glass came all scratched up!"

"Cons: - No mobo CPU cutout for installing different heatsinks
- No room for cable management"

"Assembly with the optional slim optical drive can be a slight inconvenience, but again it is very understandable with the compact design. It does also mean you need to spend double the cost on the proprietary optical drive too."

"Cons: Absolutely No Cable Management
No CPU Cutout for Aftermarket Coolers
Poor wire colors (I mean come on, a tan HD audio connector out of the 90's?)
Non Removable Hard Drive Cage
Front Glossy Panel Attracts Fingerprints
Front Panel Held On By Glue
Side Window Scratches Extremely Easy (even with a microfiber cloth)
Missing Powdercoat on Some Internals
Bad Audio Interference from Front Panel Connectors
Power Supply Cables could be better"

On and on. Most of the reviews are still positive but almost everyone still lists cons. I understand egg reviews as well as anyone and know how to take them with the grain of salt they deserve, but I also know how to spot patterns and what to avoid because of them.

Its a nice case, but I've had and worked with micro and mini itx plenty to know it can be a pain to build even for experienced builders. When I said mixed reviews, yeah the ones that went like this tend to worry me a little (not alot but a little):

"Cons: Wow where should I start they my wife about had a heart attack when this firecracker started going off the power supply started popping so loud it was crazy it shot sparks out catching a newspaper it was sitting on on fire and smoke was just rolling out of the case all this after about 30sec of running it cook every part that was pluged into it"

"Cons: cables are actually extremely short... usb 3.0 does not even reach motherboards port. FRONT GLASS HAS SCRATCHES! That is a major let down! the glass came all scratched up!"

"Cons: - No mobo CPU cutout for installing different heatsinks
- No room for cable management"

"Assembly with the optional slim optical drive can be a slight inconvenience, but again it is very understandable with the compact design. It does also mean you need to spend double the cost on the proprietary optical drive too."

"Cons: Absolutely No Cable Management
No CPU Cutout for Aftermarket Coolers
Poor wire colors (I mean come on, a tan HD audio connector out of the 90's?)
Non Removable Hard Drive Cage
Front Glossy Panel Attracts Fingerprints
Front Panel Held On By Glue
Side Window Scratches Extremely Easy (even with a microfiber cloth)
Missing Powdercoat on Some Internals
Bad Audio Interference from Front Panel Connectors
Power Supply Cables could be better"

On and on. Most of the reviews are still positive but almost everyone still lists cons. I understand egg reviews as well as anyone and know how to take them with the grain of salt they deserve, but I also know how to spot patterns and what to avoid because of them.

Newegg reviews, you need a big grain of salt for those.

You've got 26 reviews praising the case, 4 negative.
Most consumers don't care to review for something they like, where as people will rant and rave about something that's wrong.

Also, you say "on and on", but you took literally every bad review from Newegg in one post. There's none left for your "on and on".

I've digressed enough, too much time in this thread.

Newegg reviews, you need a big grain of salt for those.

You've got 26 reviews praising the case, 4 negative.
Most consumers don't care to review for something they like, where as people will rant and rave about something that's wrong.

Also, you say "on and on", but you took literally every bad review from Newegg in one post. There's none left for your "on and on".

I've digressed enough, too much time in this thread.

No, i was counting the positive reviews. Almost all of them have these cons listed, not just the negative ones. Nothing personal I would build with it in a heartbeat if I needed something small but I know I would be in for a rough time.

Back