• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build, Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuteninjagirl00

Hello all, so this is my first build and I would like some input. I am looking to make a gaming computer, well kinda. I am not a hard core gamer, I play games sometimes when the mood hits me but I'm hoping with a better desk top then what I have now I will play more. I mostly play WOW, Sims, and Smite. I would like a solid computer that isn't over the top, that will do everyday stuff with a bit of gaming. My budget is between $800-$1,000.

Wish list:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=33250848

I don't have any parts yet, I want to keep the Intel core i5 but if there is a good reason not to please let me know. If you could, please let me know why not to use something on my list or why to use something else. I appreciate any input, I am here to learn. Thank you

For "800-1000", you can do a lot better than this.

Does that 800-1000 include windows and a monitor?

edit: I think you've fallen into the consumeristic trap of... "dude get an i5 for gaming!"... well thats cool mate, which one? For instance, you chose a much older than current architecture, non-overclockable CPU with onboard graphics.

edit 2: DON"T buy a raptor drive. Just dont lol. For that money you can get a 250gb SSD AND a 1TB HDD.

Last edited:
Well.. fellow ohioan (Im from C-town, but been all over, went to school at OSU)...

We can build something much better for the money. :)

Z/H/B97 board
2x4GB DDR3 1600 ram
quality 500W PSU (Corsair to name one brand)
GTX 760/770 depending on what is left over.

UI changed the parts because you put up last generation stuff. Z97 is here as well as Haswell. Getting a Z97 based board will allow you to upgrade the CPU if you need to with the newest Broadwell chip that is due sometime in 2015.

Others will fill in details but that should get you thinking a bit...

.. WELCOME! :)

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense, i was looking at stuff that had good rateings and a lot of them but that will happen with older stuff. Thank you

I like this.. You can even go a notch up on the GPU and perhaps a faster HDD or a small SSD for the OS too!

Yep, you could easily grab a GTX 760 and/or SSD and still be within budget.

Most of the games that the OP listed won't benefit too much from extra GPU power though.

If you live close to a Micro Center you can find some remarkable combo deals
May free up some cash to put towards better card

If you have a microcenter nearby, I'd get the cpu and mobo there. I have yet to see better deals anywhere else.

4690K - $200
http://www.microcenter.com/product/434177/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 - $145
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433090/Z97_Extreme_4_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

They take $40 off if you buy a cpu and mobo together.

You don't have to pick that one, any of these should work
http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...6436&NTX=&NTT=&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=pricelow

I just bought a 4670k ($180) from them, but it doesn't look like they have those in stock atm.

Remember, stock is for your local one (cookies.. saves your location). Ohio also has two. One in Cleveland area, and one in the Columbus area. ;)

If she goes AMD, she can get a better GPU.
Point.

Most of the games that the OP listed won't benefit too much from extra GPU power though.
Counter point, LOL!

Then perhaps think about a Kaveri based system perhaps. An a10 7850 would net very playable frame rates on those games and significantly drop the budget of this build.

I'm with atminside on this, I hate to dis my much loved amd but atm's build is just so solid,(throwing myself on my own sword).much more flexable and much more powerful.

Then perhaps think about a Kaveri based system perhaps. An a10 7850 would net very playable frame rates on those games and significantly drop the budget of this build.

Not with a budget of $800-1000. The 7850K would be meh by itself on WoW.

I feel an FX 6300 or 4570/4670/4690 would be good paired with a GTX 750Ti, 8GB of RAM, a decent 500W psu, a 1TB HDD, a 120GB-256GB SSD, and a budget case like a 200R.

I feel an FX 6300 or 4570/4670/4690 would be good paired with a GTX 750Ti, 8GB of RAM, a decent 500W psu, a 1TB HDD, a 120GB-256GB SSD, and a budget case like a 200R.

No reason to go for a large case like that, honestly.
Why build a tower when an mITX will do all that's needed and then some?

Since MC is a possibility, I would probably lean towards 4690K/Z97 $305 combo. An 8350\990FX would be tempting but I would have to recommend after market cooler with it vs the 4690K if your not OC'ing you can get away with stock.

No reason not to get a 250GB Evo, $140 is easily worthwhile.

Mixed reviews on that case\psu combo. I just never trust buying those together, plus not sure how good the OP is at building and that case could be challenging. Since his original list was full size ATX and a pretty big mid-tower can't think size is an issue.

Back