• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying this our for a bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deez

Trying this out for a bit

Ok SETI has me down so I'm trying this out on my main box for a day or so in case I decide to abandon SETI or in case SETI decides to abandon its loyal crunchers...I currently have about 5Ghz crunching for SETI.

So far I dont like folding Client wouldn't download a WU it said to wait 5 minutes so I got GUI instead which is creating slowdown/wackyness with my comp --OS is Win XP Pro system specs in sig

I read the FAQ but it didn't tell me much. I'll try this for 24 hours but so far I'm not impressed...can any of you guys convince me otherwise? Are there any cool programs I should know about? any ideas why client didn't work?

Last edited:
welcome to the team

the client has to download a file called core65 then it will download a work unit. there are two different clients. graphical and text based. they both fold at about the same speed.

I would use either 2.17 or the newest beta 2.19
http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/

i use the text only version and hide it with a little program called hideit.

i have a link to it on the website
www.overclockers.ws

the text console is pretty easy just enter your name and team 32 and your set.

if you have any problems someone will help you out. try to be specific.

Welcome to the team!!!
There are a couple of monitoring programs but the most popular right now is Fold Monitor. . just download the .exe version. it is skinable and can monitor remote machines over a lan. The Timing function is only accurate if all macines clocks are synched and the clients are not turned off or Foldmonitor is turned off. It will minimize to the tray by right clicking on the tray icon.

If you happen to download ver. 2.19 you have to delete the core65 due to a bug. it will automatically download another when you restart F@H.

There is more info on our team site, including the link to the beta download page, it is the link in my sig.

Most of the problems with this client are due to the age of the client and the experience of the programmers. SETI has had a few years to get it right. This is an all new client(in that it represents an almost complete departure from the old Folding client) that was released to the public in OCT and they are still working out the remaining bugs. The programmers are molecular biologists with only limited programming ability. It's also a bit more complex than the SETI project in the way it works, since the work we do tomorrow is dependent on the work that we do today. That limits caching and makes shorter time limits necessary.
There hasn't been a great deal of 3rd party development for the 2.0 folding client, although Kendan gave you a link to a decent monitoring program. We will hopefully see more in the future, but it has been limited.

another program for monitoring over a lan is KDFold. http://www.plasticstudios.org/robsdelphipage.htm

Welcome to the Team and we hope that it works out for you.

after running GUI for overnight it gave me an error when trying to upload the WU and it crashed immediately after reopening. Will try text based client again when I get home as well as Fold Monitor. I really want something to crunch when SETI is down although SETI will be my priority (err...more like my addiction) Idle CPU's make me very unhappy.

Once I get this thing working right I'll try to round up some of the other SETI folks to fold when we cant upload/download from SETI to help you guys out. After all were all overclockers. :cool:

deez said:
after running GUI for overnight it gave me an error when trying to upload the WU and it crashed immediately after reopening. Will try text based client again when I get home as well as Fold Monitor. I really want something to crunch when SETI is down although SETI will be my priority (err...more like my addiction) Idle CPU's make me very unhappy.

Once I get this thing working right I'll try to round up some of the other SETI folks to fold when we cant upload/download from SETI to help you guys out. After all were all overclockers. :cool:
you joined at a bad time usually things run alot smoother than it has the last few days

Ok I got the client running with Fold monitor...still know nothing about either program so is there anything I need to set in either program to maximize CPU usage or are there any important options I need to set? and I'm still unsure about caching options. How do you cache extra WU's?

Also what kind of times should I expect with my current CPU Cel [email protected] specs in sig. I'll go ahead and run at least overnight then go back to SETI. Once my SETI boxes get full I'll fold in the meantime.

it depends on the protein you fold on GNRA hairpin i get 6-6.5mins a frame on my tualatin at 1.4....

deez said:
Ok I got the client running with Fold monitor...still know nothing about either program so is there anything I need to set in either program to maximize CPU usage or are there any important options I need to set? and I'm still unsure about caching options. How do you cache extra WU's?

Also what kind of times should I expect with my current CPU Cel [email protected] specs in sig. I'll go ahead and run at least overnight then go back to SETI. Once my SETI boxes get full I'll fold in the meantime.

There is minimal caching and it's not the same as caching for SETI. The client will hold completed work in queue in case it cannot be sent back to the server and will get something else to work on. When it is finished it will then try to send the freshly completed work and the work that it had completed previously. That's how it works --- in theory anyway. You cannot download extra work to avoid connecting to the servers however.
Like funnyperson said. The time to complete the work depends on what you are working on. The times are different for each protein type. You should be able to achieve maximum, or very close to it, cpu usage without doing anything. Depending on what OS you are using you can change the priiority of the client. I have only done it with 98, but I used to copy the conagent.exe into the folding directory and decrease the idle sensitivity which seemed to make the client just a little more greedy.

Thanks for the tips Ploaf...is there any type of average time/chunk of data? For instance I'm currently working on #1proteinA --500000 steps --601 atoms (on my main box)

what determines a larger unit type of protein? steps? or atoms or a combo of all of the above?

And by the way the cele 500@600 just started folding...my cache was empty tonight. It crunches a normal SETI WU in just under 11 hours so it should be a decent folder too.

deez said:
Thanks for the tips Ploaf...is there any type of average time/chunk of data? For instance I'm currently working on #1proteinA --500000 steps --601 atoms (on my main box)

what determines a larger unit type of protein? steps? or atoms or a combo of all of the above?

And by the way the cele 500@600 just started folding...my cache was empty tonight. It crunches a normal SETI WU in just under 11 hours so it should be a decent folder too.
celly 600 might be a little slow folding but every little bit helps.
I have a PII 400 folding and get 53 min per a frame doing rotienanat

deez said:

I can't say about how long the celeron will take, but I'm sure that someone can chime in with some times for a celeron@600 or close. res0r9lm gave a good estimate of how long you will be looking at. Just adjust for your cpu speed and it should be close.

The length of time each protein takes is determined by it's size and complexity. IOW a larger protein with more atoms will take longer. The steps and frames are pretty much just a breakdown of the process.

Ploaf said:

I can't say about how long the celeron will take, but I'm sure that someone can chime in with some times for a celeron@600 or close. res0r9lm gave a good estimate of how long you will be looking at. Just adjust for your cpu speed and it should be close.

The length of time each protein takes is determined by it's size and complexity. IOW a larger protein with more atoms will take longer. The steps and frames are pretty much just a breakdown of the process.
the way I figure it is the celly@600 should be able to do a 3 pointer in 3 days thats about 1 point a day and these are taking 2 1/2 x as long as the hairpins so if you had only hairpins that would be roughly about 10 points a week so what you could expect is anywhere from 7 pts to 12 per a week
seem like they hardly ever mix the wu up by that I mean they keep sending the same types to you. might get the same type for days.

Ok guys i have no idea what all these terms mean.

"rotienanat" "IOW a larger protein" "hairpins"

remember i just get here from SETI and i'm running half and half right now. Looks like it will soon be all folding though if SETI cant starighten out the bandwidth issue

deez said:
Ok guys i have no idea what all these terms mean.

"rotienanat" "IOW a larger protein" "hairpins"

remember i just get here from SETI and i'm running half and half right now. Looks like it will soon be all folding though if SETI cant starighten out the bandwidth issue
there different protiens. different protiens have differt times and point values. some are more favorable to get. for instance a 1proteinA is three points but takes 2.5 times longer than a GNRA hairpin to do. GNRA hairpin is 2 pts and by the time you finsh an 1proteinA you could have been half way through your 3 hairpin.
here are some of the protiens I have folded with my main rig and thier point values

Engrailed Homeodomain 1
Villin 2
Trptophan zipper 1
Villin Head Piece 2
Alzheimer Amyloid Beta .2
GNRA Hairpin 2
1 OS - 33.472842 8.0997169 2
BBA5_Build_ext .6
Alzheimer Amyloid Beta .8
Native bba5 (OLD) .6
Native bba5 (new) 1
Met sidechain-Amber .3
Ser Sidechain-Charmm .3
TYR Sidechain-Amber .3
PHE Sidechain-Charmm .3
ALA Sidechain OPLSAA .3
VAL Sidechain-Amber .6
MET Sidechain - CHARMM .6
GLN Sidechain-Amber .6
GLN Sidechain-OPLSAA .3
HIE Sidechain-OPLSAA .6
PHE Sidechain-Amber .6
CYS Sidechain-OPLSAA .3
CYS Sidechain-Charmm unknown
ASN Sidechain-Amber .6
THR Sidechain-Amber .6
TRP Sidechain-CHARMM .3
Water-TIP3P Model .3
VAL Sidechain-CHARMM .6
ILE Sidechain-OPLSA .6
TPR Sidechain-OPLSA .6
ABETA17-42 unknown
ILE Sidechain-CHARMM .3
TYR Sidechain-OPLSA .3
VAL Sidechain-OPLSA .3
GLN Sidechain-CHARMM .3
TYR Sidechain-CHARMM .3

Ahhhhh...now this is starting to make a bit more sense to me so you actually get more points for more work. Checked progress on the 1proteinA this morning and it looked like it would be done tonight at 8PM if the time estimate in Fold monitor is accurate. (about 24 hours)

will have to check the cele tonight too and I should have the P3 733 folding tonight too if no upload to SETI

Sorry. IOW is In Other Words ;) Just used to usenet and irc/chats where the shortcuts are more common.

Ploaf said:
Sorry. IOW is In Other Words ;) Just used to usenet and irc/chats where the shortcuts are more common.

doh....with all these other terms coming in at once I didn't take anything for granted

Back