• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storage Harddrive Disappeared on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

Hello, just recently my secondary harddrive has disappeared from Windows. I was playing a game which was stored on that drive and had no problems. When I exited out and when to get to a different game (Which was on the Steam application, also on the storage drive), Steam just closed and and when I tried to reopen it it said that the drive that the shortcut refered to was not connected. I went into BIOs and to check to see if the computer even detected it I went into boot options and the drive was there, however I can't access it at all. Any suggestions?

Check all the cables going to the drive.
Try connecting the drive to a different SATA port.

Loose cables will cause problems like that.

Tried moving the drive to a different port as well as a different hot swap spot. Still no luck. Windows detected it as a new device and installed it fine but it's still not showing up.

Id check disc management and see if its there.

Do you hear the drive spin up?
Possibly try a different SATA cable?

The drive does spin up and this is what my disk management shows me:

Disk 1 is my problem disk that stopped showing in Windows.

System restore did not help either.
Please tell me that my hard drive isn't shot. It doesn't make sense that it just stops working right after I finish a game.

Last edited:
Looks like that drive isn't formatted.
Right click it and see what your options are.

Turns out that the drive is very close to being dead. I went out and bought a different drive and later I will transfer the data over. I forgot what the program I used said but I know that the Spin up retries were about 2 or 3 and another critical part of the drive was a non-zero factor and was told that the drive should be replaced ASAP.

The only option I had for the drive was to create a new simple volume or something like that.

Does anyone know if the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB hard drive has that Advanced Format Utility built in? Because I'm trying to transfer files over to this drive from the old Seagate 1.5TB drive and it's only going at 500KB/sec which would take almost 2 weeks of constant writing in order to copy all of the data.

Or does anyone know the best way to transfer the data over? I am currently using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier.

Back