• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 duel monitor sound setup :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stamplicker

Ok having trouble just trying to explain what I am trying to do and not sure where to post this but anyways the setup I am dealing with is a TV going through HDMI so sound can travel using the video card which is a 460 gtx the other monitor which is my main is just a standard 24inch computer monitor which for sound is using my xonar d2x sound card. Now what I want if possible is when i slide a movie or what ever I want that uses sound to the tv to auto switch to hdmi sound and also if lets say I'm playing a game on main monitor at the same time as the tv has lets say a random movie playing I want movie on tv speakers while game on the xonar d2x. Now sometimes I can get this to work by clicking a few buttons everytime but it doesnt always work and I would think there could be atleast a program that could do this. The reason I post here is maybe windows 7 has a way to do this built in?

tricks :)
i dont think the system (os itself) can still run 2 sound devices at the same time (default).
it certannly cant switch sounds based on which monitor a program is on.

i could think of a bunch of cheap tricks to attempt to pull it off though.

a 6 speaker system, wherein the user seperates 2 of the speakers for one of the monitors.
http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/110270-1-desktop-dual-monitors-2-different-audio-output.html
then uses software that can selectivly motivate the sounds to a different speaker.
everytime you use the software set that way, the sounds for say the "back speakers" are for the HDTV , and the main 2 are for the game?
AC3 sound driver, or Video playback software that can pick and choose what it plays through via full control of the single array of speakers.

same basic thing
software that can select the specific device that the output pin for the audio goes to, and 2 different sound devices, which you probably now have.

DEVCON , which can disable and enable different devices, can be scripted, and used to turn devices themselves on and off at will.
how that would work i dont know, but i use it many different ways to control the actual devices themselves.

GhostMousing (mouse macros) , anything you can do by hand, you can use a macro and save it so it is done robotically for you. then one click it is done.

and a search term
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...gc.r_pw.&fp=8a58e93555963d21&biw=1737&bih=901

to me the system itself doesnt really have a way of fully seperate operation on different monitors even , unless it was through some virtualisation sandboxing? it is all hardware/software tricks to begin with, and superbitmaps and all.
same thing with the audio, the sytem itself is not yet fully 2 audio devices aware.
but
Any device that runs seperate and does its own thing entirely , has never had a problem doing its own thing without the system. like tv tuner cards, video cards with tuners, PVR, video editing cards, and all that stuff with fully seperate hardware and software functions.
so another example could be a tuner card that didnt play through the system, playing movies via its own software. a video card, that can direct its own softwares output to only the HDMI.
i have had up to 3 different "video" operations going on at a time, each with thier own sound. but that was always via thier own hardware , and thier own software communication to that. (all on 1 monitor)

isnt it humerous that less than 8 years ago a person could run 2 computers off the same monitor, KVM because they were so slow :) and now we can do 2 things at once :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response that search you posted alone was getting better results than my searches. I just was struggling to figure out what to call it I'll post my results when I find it or when I give up again.

Thank you for your response that search you posted alone was getting better results than my searches. I just was struggling to figure out what to call it I'll post my results when I find it or when I give up again.

OK for now I found the output options in VLC to where I could choose a sound device but had to guess its number since they didn't list it by the name. Now when ever my girlfriend wants to watch some chick flick I can put it on the tv while I play a game on my pc speakers.

Back