• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is 64 bit included?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boobietrap1000

Registered
HI all !

i have windows 7 enterprise 32 bit installed and was just wondering if 64 bit is included in the CD, i want some more ram and since i really haven't notice much when installing windows im here lol

please help guyss

Both 32bit and 64bit come with a retail copy of Windows 7, but for OEM copies you only get one or the other (whichever you buy).

may i ask what is an OEM copy? i know its original equipment manufacturer but its just a CD or dvd i dunno, and are both 32 and 64 BIt in the CD or are there suppose to be 2 disks, i lost the box and every except for the CD key

An OEM copy is either 32 or 64 bit, and is meant to be installed on only one PC. Once the motherboard is upgraded, a new copy of Windows is needed.

Do you have a pre-built PC like a Dell, HP, etc.? If so, then you have an OEM CD and only 32 bit is on the disk.

i'd like to thank you guys first for the replies so thank you !

well i got GTA IV and i downloaded this crazy edit of traffic, like insane amount of traffic so it'd be more realistic.
anyways the shop built my PC and my motherboard is a p8p67, will i be able to tell if 64 bit is an option if i just pop the win 7 disk in?

1. Use Notepad to open file autorun.inf on the disc.

64-Bit version has something like this:

[AutoRun.Amd64]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0

[AutoRun]
open=sources\sperr32.exe x64
icon=sources\sperr32.exe,0

32-Bit version has something like this:
[Autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0

2. Make sure whatever program/game you are using actually needs and is capable of using more than 4GB of RAM, most programs do not. Make sure when reading opinions that posters are not talking about storage space needed on hard drive. Sometimes they say 6 GB of "memory" when in fact they mean 6 GB of storage space on Hard Drive and their program in reality uses less than 4 GB of RAM, so they really don't need 64-Bit Windows for it.

good stuff!

well i looked into that autorun file and its 32 bit only...ah man

does that mean i have to buy a new windows just so i can have more ram?

Yes, you will need 64-Bit Windows to use more than 4GB of RAM.

how about if i were to download the 64 bit windows 7 enterprise 90 day trial and then enter the CD key that i am using now, would that work or will it just say wrong cd key

Which version do you have? I don't know about Enterprise but for others, file ei.cfg controls which version of Windows 7 is automatically installed.
It is located inside the /sources/ folder.

If you remove this file, you will be prompted which version of Windows 7 you wish to install.

Or you can edit this file in Notepad and set which version of Windows you want installed automatically. Simply change the word 'Ultimate' to any other version you would like to install automatically:

* Ultimate
* Professional
* HomePremium
* HomeBasic
* Starter

do i like copy everything from the disk to my hard drive then remove the ei.cfg and run the installation? im kinda new at this so please be patient lol

You would do that for other versions but I do not know if Enterprise version has the ei.cfg file.

Here's how you would make a bootable USB flash drive from which you can install Windows 7:

Connect your USB Flash drive then type this in Windows 7/Vista DOS [Windows XP DOS cannot be used for this]:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
(of USB Flash drive)
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=ntfs quick
• assign
• exit
• exit

Now copy all extracted contents of Windows 7 ISO to the USB Flash drive, then reboot and hold F8 (on most systems) to get a boot selection menu from which you can choose to boot from the newly created USB Flash Drive.

Optionally, delete autorun.inf (because autorun.inf files are now routinely intercepted by antivirus software.)

yea enterprise has the ei file and it says

[EditionID]
Enterprise
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

if i follow the steps, would i be able to choose a 64 bit windows?

We are talking about two things:
1. 32-Bit vs 64-Bit Setup
2. Editions of Windows 7 (Enterprise, Ultimate, etc.)

You will be able to install 64-Bit Windows 7 Enterprise if that is the what you downloaded.

But your activation key will only work for whichever edition you had previously, assuming it is a retail key. What did you have, Ultimate version?

So the concern is if after removing ei.cfg and starting the setup process, are you going to be prompted to choose which Windows 7 edition (Ultimate, Home, etc.) you wish to install? I don't know. I know it works for non-enterprise editions.

so my key will work if i install windows to a 64bit win 7 enterprise
my current windows is win 7 enterprise and it is a retail copy,

i am just really confused with how i would be able to install 64 bit, like is it included in the cd? in another cd ? keys work with both 32 and 64 or different keys.

in the read me its just too general, it just says to chose weather a 32 or 64 system you have to look at your prossorer...but my prosseor is fine i just want to know how i will get 64 bit:bang head

Attachments

• sys.png
    sys.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
If you have a working Enterprise 32-Bit Key then the same key should work for Enterpise 64-Bit. Problems with keys are only if you switch versions, not if you switch between 32-Bit and 64-bit. As far as I know.

You will be able to install 64-Bit if you get the 64-Bit disc or download.

i guess i have only 32 bit in my disk...
so would it be possible if i just download the 90 days trial of win 7 enterprise 64 bit and activate the trial using the key im using now? not many people know about enterprise i know but like if you can speak from experience, what would you say?

If your key is valid for Windows 7 32-Bit Enterprise then it should be valid for Windows 7 64-Bit Enterprise. You may want to confirm with the shop you got from if you don't want to just try it.

You should always drive image the partition your operating system is on so that if anything goes wrong you can just restore that partition in minutes.

I never do a windows update or update any drivers without drive imaging my operating system hard drive partition.

Back