• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k Temp Spikes??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJ_BPK

Registered
If this should be in cooling, mods pls move..

My new system (c sig) is having heat spikes.

Fans:
Stock top 160mm @ low, 12v molex, pushing out
Stock 120mm moved to 3.5 inch bay @ low, 12v molex, pushing in
212+ stock, mobo 4pin cpu jack, pushing up
Thermaltake Silent Wheel TT-1225 in the side cover, mobo 3pin jack, pushing out

I installed core temp 1.0, Tj max=98C,
stock OE & FireFox...,, in the low 30t's to mid 40t's
load, Super-pi, 32M(8m25.9s), mid-upper 40t's.

installed ET6, tried QB 2, still about the same, but

At some increment in time, the temp on one or more of the core will shoot up to 98C for about .02 sec and back to mid 30t's. It hits random cores, and seems to be random loads.

Thinking it may be related to the auto settings in bios, I set multiplier to 40, including each core, voltage to 1.28, and it still happens..

No blue screens or lock-up of any kind.

Suggestions..

I do not have a screen capture pgm, give me a suggestion?? or other monitoring tool(s)

installed:
Super PI
CPUID hardware monitor
SpeedFan
CPU-Z
Core Temp 1.0

Tx
Jim

The spikes to 98C is a bug that's being worked on in the 1.0RC of Coretemp. Try 0.99.8, and you shouldn't see those spikes anymore. The Coolest is working on fixing it ATM.

Edit: Wait, does it do this in all of your monitoring programs?? If it's just Coretemp, then you ok, just roll back to using 0.99.8 if the spikes bug you, till they're fixed.

Just logged in to post the same thing. During Prime 95, core temp briefly showed a temp of 98C on my new i5, for like half a second, in yellow but then would go down to normal numbers. Glad its a bug, my heart skipped a beat.

Just logged in to post the same thing. During Prime 95, core temp briefly showed a temp of 98C on my new i5, for like half a second, in yellow but then would go down to normal numbers. Glad its a bug, my heart skipped a beat.

Ik what you mean, scared me to death first time I saw it. He's got it fixed now, it looks like from some testing, so just wait for the next release to fix it.

It is indeed a bug, and I believe I have fixed it already
There are a couple of more bugs to fix before RC2 is out.

Back