• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 7600K Overclock Cooling Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are you basing your 'too high' conclusion off of? With respect, if you don't know, and these good guys are telling you they are in the ballpark.... then they are in the ballpark. :)

I guess the temperatures are fine then. Kept thinking good would be lower. But if 70's are ok then I will live with it. Certainly like the i5 a lot more than the i3 7100 that was in here. That thing was wimpy but worked ok.

Lower is better always, but that said, these chips throttle at 100C and shutdown higher to protect themselves. Common, proper, advice is to keep stress testing below 90C as the vast majority if things you do with your PC will run significantly less than that. Gaming, for example, will be around 20C less. ;)

I'd happily run my CPU all day long at 90C+ and expect it to AT LEAST last through its warranty (3 years)... that is what Intel set it up for. Less is better, but its not like you are doing harm by running it where its rated to be.

Lower is better always, but that said, these chips throttle at 100C and shutdown higher to protect themselves. Common, proper, advice is to keep stress testing below 90C as the vast majority if things you do with your PC will run significantly less than that. Gaming, for example, will be around 20C less. ;)

I'd happily run my CPU all day long at 90C+ and expect it to AT LEAST last through its warranty (3 years)... that is what Intel set it up for. Less is better, but its not like you are doing harm by running it where its rated to be.

That's basically the answer I was needing. Just kept thinking it needed to be lower. My teacher in the networking class was going on about anything over 40-50C is bad. I knew it wasn't totally true, but didn't know to what extent. Another guy in class got a i7 8700K overclocked to 5GHz, he was running 77C and the teacher was telling that was bad. Guess I know not to believe everything you hear! Happy where my computer is sitting then. Maybe this weekend I'll screw around some more to see if 5GHz is possible. Although I don't want to really exceed about 1.35 much. From what I've seen, that is a safe level. Guess I still have a lot to learn!

That teacher is CLUELESS (on this particular subject).

1.35-1.4V is the max I would run as well.

Good Luck and keep us posted! :)

I was just screwing around overclocking the ring. It seemed unstable at 46 with my voltage settings but at 45 it's fine. Just feel like overclocking it. Not much performance increase but it doesn't seem to hurt anything set at 45. But even with it at default I noticed no change in the heat output. Running Prime95 V 26.6, my temperature is around 70-78C. It bounces around so it is difficult to get the real number. The temperature spread isn't more then around 5C at anytime. It seems to be running stable right now, but the temperatures still seem kinda high. If you think they are normal then I guess I will take your word, having no experience overclocking. But as it stands, my temperatures seem too high.

Yeah, I misspoke when I said that a higher ring frequency may make it run hotter. I forgot that the ring voltage is not a separate adjustment in Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake so it will not create additional heat. In earlier generations you would have needed to increase the ring voltage to overclock it to that point.

I ran Prime95 v26.6 in small FFT mode for 45 minutes. This had my processor sitting at basically 80C the whole time. I had Corsair Link up to show the water temperature which rose to about 36C and stayed there for the whole test. The pump speed is set to max 24/7. My fans which are Corsair ML 120 Pro's, were turning at around 1300-1400rpm. All other fans were turning at 1500rpm. I was expecting the water temperature to rise higher than it did. But definitely liking how it turned out so far! This Corsair cooler is definitely a lot higher quality than the Silver Stone I had on here. So I feel a lot more comfortable using it.

But thanks for all the help. I definitely learned a lot more about computers. And I enjoyed everything about this PC build. Minus the crashing of course!

You probably should run the Prime95 26.6 for a couple of hours to confirm stability. The other day I was trying to get my 7700k to 4.9 stable and it would crash repeatedly at 1.75 hr. of the Prime95 26.6 stress test, no matter how much vcore I gave it. So I settled for 4.8 with an AVX offset of 1.

Just make sure you get big fans. The bigger the fan the quieter it is since it can just spin at 1300rpm or lower. gl

Back