• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow wireless, faster up than down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

5yewy5r

So I recently got a new computer and stuck with the same router (verizon), and I've been having trouble with a slow internet (slow for browsing and high pings for gaming for servers that were like 25 ping before).

So I took a speedtest test and this was the result:

1446720030.png

notice how my upload is noticeably higher than my download. This leads me to believe something is screwing with my download rate, and since its a new computer, probably some sort of software or maybe the wireless card. The card is a zonet ZEW1642D. I use openDNS (although I used that on my last computer too, so I don't think that's the problem) and get a 4bar signal (the router is downstairs).

with that speed, looks like you are on FIOS? If so, i used to be a FIOS call center supervisor.... and though it's been a couple years since then, the basic troubleshooting is the same.

The service is verizon fios, sorry that I didn't mention it in the first post.

I was under the impression that the computer downstairs was working fine (mostly because it's old and I don't play games on it) but it seems to have internet problems of its own. It showed 2.3 mbps down and 2.4 mbps up on speedtest. Much slower overall for some reason (keep in mind the router is in the room next to the computer downstairs) and still has higher up, although the discrepancy is much smaller. Strange, considering I never noticed internet problems when I actually used it.

Well out of curiosity I took another speedtest on the new computer, and the results seem extremely similar to the one downstairs (...which is worse than before :/) Still higher upload than down.

1448343206.png

Last edited:
Is the new computer a laptop or desktop? That could make certain troubleshooting a lot simpler.

First thing that would happen if you called into the FIOS call center is they would have you powercycle your computer(s) just to make sure it isn't some weird glitch/caching issue. After that, they would ask you to powercycle the BHR (router) that came with your FIOS installation (they can do it from their end, but they prefer the user do so). At this point, 90% of issues have been resolved.

If still not working properly, they would then have you pull the power adapter from the BHR and let it sit for 30 seconds just to make sure it isn't the router having a stuck setting that wasn't solved by a powercycle. This fixes another 2% of issues.

Now at 92% solved, if still not working, they would have you do a factory reset on the BHR. This varies from router to router, but usually involves using a pen or a paperclip to push a tiny little 'reset' switch recessed into a hole in the back of the router. This solves about another 5% of issues.

Now at 97% solved, the next thing to look at if still a speed issue and you not being where you should be provisioned at is looking at the NID. That's the box where the fiber goes in and out comes your MoCA and/or Ethernet connection to your BHR/STB's. While it is quite easy for the phone tech to powercycle the NID, it is more effective to completely cut power off to it and reset it yourself first (to eliminate it as an issue if you have to call in). This involves not only unplugging it from the wall, but unplugging the UPS battery inside the unit. Once done, wait about 1-2 minutes for all residual charge to leave. Hook back up power and battery again. This solves another 2% of issues such as the NID getting glitched settings.

Now at 99% solved, if you still have issues, it is time to call your FIOS tech support. At this point, you will have done about 95% of the tech support they would have walked you through, thus saving you and them time on the phone (trust me, it makes the Customer Service Rep very happy as it makes their stats look much better and saves their job when it comes time to cut jobs based on performance).

Anything at this point is either a firewall issue (which i assume you have tried turning off just to make sure it isn't interfering) or a network/provisioning issue that requires a support ticket sent on to a Tier 2 tech (which usually gets taken care of within the hour). Usually happens to be something like the card at the plant was set to the wrong settings or a fiber got cut in an area and people are being shunted to another fiber thus reduced capacity and they have to get a tech out to fix it. Things like that.

**edit**

It is also possible, though not near as likely, that a firmware update pushed out on the network by Verizon could have screwed with your BHR and them checking the firmware of your BHR from their end or doing a line test just to make sure there isn't a ground/short somewhere in the home Between the BHR and the NID can find about 0.5% of problems.

Back