• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cannot forward ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey everyone i have comcast internet and am trying to forward ports and ping my computer from outside my home network and when i try to ping it just times out and if i try to forward ports a port scanner shows it as closed

i have contacted comcast and they have given me a different ipaddress then whatismyip.com shows or what my modem and router shows all of those show it starts with 68 but the one they told me starts with 98 so which do i believe?

and does anyone know what might cause this to happen is the first place

EDIT new information, when i connect the modem directly to my desktop i get an up that starts with 76 and if i connect it back to the router i get an ip starting with 68 something is not right here imo

Last edited:
My guess is you don't have a static IP address, so you should use something like DynDNS - a lot of newer router/switch SOHO devices support it. Also, ICMP packets are usually blocked by the firewall by default - there should be a check box to enable an echo reply. What ports are you attempting to forward?

How are you forwarding ports to your computer? Can you show a screenshot of the configuration? If you are running a firewall on your computer, have you made exceptions?

How are you forwarding ports to your computer? Can you show a screenshot of the configuration? If you are running a firewall on your computer, have you made exceptions?

no static ip the i has been the same since we got comcast, also i have been forwarding ports in the router and i have turned off any and all firewalls and that includes windows and the port im trying to forward is 12203 it is for medal of honor allied assault

when i connect the modem directly to my desktop i get an up that starts with 76 and if i connect it back to the router i get an ip starting with 68 something is not right here imo

That don't sound right, you should be getting an ip that looks like 192.168.1.xxx if your using a router. You sure it's not just a "Switch"?

no static ip the i has been the same since we got comcast, also i have been forwarding ports in the router and i have turned off any and all firewalls and that includes windows and the port im trying to forward is 12203 it is for medal of honor allied assault
You quoted my post and answered none of the questions. :confused:

Post screenshots of what you changed.

That don't sound right, you should be getting an ip that looks like 192.168.1.xxx if your using a router. You sure it's not just a "Switch"?
i am also heres a screenshot of what i changed all i changed was forward a port to a lan ip

Attachments

• port forward.jpg
    port forward.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 39
Ok, and you verified that your computer has the 192.168.1.48 address? I know it seems simple, but it is easy to overlook unless you have manually assigned DHCP addresses. Either the router isn't configured right or there is something blocking it internally.

Ok, and you verified that your computer has the 192.168.1.48 address? I know it seems simple, but it is easy to overlook unless you have manually assigned DHCP addresses. Either the router isn't configured right or there is something blocking it internally.

thats my server and the ip is correct heres a screenshot. now if i use my iphone on 3g to ping my internet ip which is 68.52.19.** then it times out i also get the same thing if i do it from mcdonalds wifi or if i message a friend to do it, it always times out

Attachments

• ipaddress.jpg
    ipaddress.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 39
Pinging doesn't use that port number, so it won't respond. Some firewalls also reject/drop pings, even on open ports.

Use the following website. Click Proceed, scroll down, type 12203 in the box and click "User Specified Custom Port Probe". You want this test to fail.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Pinging doesn't use that port number, so it won't respond. Some firewalls also reject/drop pings, even on open ports.

Use the following website. Click Proceed, scroll down, type 12203 in the box and click "User Specified Custom Port Probe". You want this test to fail.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

i know im doing it without the port number and it still times out, i have talked to comcast and they said everything is fine but its not and dont even get me started on netgear tech support lol

Try what I suggested, please.

done

EDIT heres the screenshot for a port i want to get working aswell and its not even forwarded

EDIT 2 i removed 12203 from the forward list and now it passes is my router messed up?

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 43
  • port2.jpg
    port2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 44
Either the router isn't forwarding or your ISP is blocking. I'm not sure how to test since they are directly connected.

Here is what it should show.

SS-2011-08-29_15.55.43.png

EDIT: "Pass" just means that it doesn't respond to requests at all. You are thinking of it backwards. My screenshot is what should show if you have it done right.

Either the router isn't forwarding or your ISP is blocking. I'm not sure how to test since they are directly connected.

Here is what it should show.

View attachment 98935

EDIT: "Pass" just means that it doesn't respond to requests at all. You are thinking of it backwards. My screenshot is what should show if you have it done right.

i have asked my isp and one person said they dont block ports at comcast but then i talked to someone else and they said they will check the blocked port list, then they said that the port was not blocked and im not sure if they block them or not

i have asked my isp and one person said they dont block ports at comcast but then i talked to someone else and they said they will check the blocked port list, then they said that the port was not blocked and im not sure if they block them or not

Oh they do block ports! Usually only spammy ones like MX (mailserver) ports. What you got there is certainly not.

Do you have DMZ enabled? That could cause conflicts if you do.

EDIT: another good site to check ports from if you want a second opinion http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Oh they do block ports! Usually only spammy ones like MX (mailserver) ports. What you got there is certainly not.

Do you have DMZ enabled? That could cause conflicts if you do.

EDIT: another good site to check ports from if you want a second opinion http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

i have tried with it enabled and disabled and it does the same thing so i have no idea whats going on

EDIT found this while looking at settings on my router and have enabled it and now i can ping all i want too now i just need to figure out why i cant forward ports

Attachments

• ping block.jpg
    ping block.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Is your internet a dedicated line to your house, or is it a shared connection somewhere like an apartment complex? At my apartment complex, we have dedicated lines to each unit (through ethernet jacks in the wall) but all of them run back to a primary proxy server/firewall in the main office.

Try bypassing your router and hooking directly up to the modem. Still the same results?

Is your internet a dedicated line to your house, or is it a shared connection somewhere like an apartment complex? At my apartment complex, we have dedicated lines to each unit (through ethernet jacks in the wall) but all of them run back to a primary proxy server/firewall in the main office.

Try bypassing your router and hooking directly up to the modem. Still the same results?

my server and modem are on different floors so no i cant connect directly but even with the modem connected directly to my desktop i still couldnt ping or forward ports

my server and modem are on different floors so no i cant connect directly but even with the modem connected directly to my desktop i still couldnt ping or forward ports

If you have your own cable modem that should not be an issue.

What kind of router specifically do you have?

EDIT: No ports open circumventing the router either? If the desktop computer is hooked directly to the modem you should have your external IP for the computer and not a 192.168.1.xxx
You will not need to forward any ports like that, just make sure they are open in your firewall.

Back