• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or Intel Motherboard Purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

choliscott

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my system (once the BD benchmarks come out). My question is what kind of motherboard (chipset wise) should i purchase. From what I have read..

If I make a purchase, it would probably be Bulldozer, or I7 2600K

AMD 990x or 990fx
Intel - Z68 or P67

Mainly I am looking for a board that is good at overclocking,

I was looking at GA-970A-UD3. Is a 970 chipset decent for overclocking? I wasn't planning on using crossfire or anything like that.

I currently have a M5A88-V Evo, but for some reason this board is bad on overclocking (for instance to get to 3.7ghz, I had to crank up vcore to 1.47v), so am looking to get another board with better O/C capabilities.

Thankls

When buying any prospective mobo for overclocking you need to download the manual and look for options to change vCore, Ram Voltage, NB voltage, CPU Frequency and CPU Muliplier etc.

Of course there is not any real information on BD yet, so motherboard choices for the BD specifically may change when the BD actually arrives in user's hands. We see boards today that have voltage issues and we are told it is because the boards are designed for BD but are using earlier cpus. SO what says a board will do well with BD? Nothing yet that most of us have actually SEEN.

So for today, I have no real knowledge of anyone who knows what is going to be the big hit with BD cpus.

Back