• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing 5970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. Just havew a question for you here. I've flashed my 5970 BIOS to try and get rid of the powerplay state switching. I was noticing my card was going from 900/1100 to 550/1000 while running FurMark and gaming. This was causing screen flicker and some uneven game performance.

I edited all the BIOS file's clocks to 900/1100 with 1.22v (see attached image). However, upon rebooting, GPU-Z is reporting the GPU clock at 725 and the memory at 1000 still. It's realtime clock sensor is also reporting 725/1000, along with MSI's Afterburner.

Afterburner and GPU-Z are "reporting" the GPU/RAM clocks as the pre-set 900/1100, but the card appears to still be running at 725/1000.

How the heck do I get it run at my desired 900/1100?? And where is it getting 725/1000 from???

Attachments

• BIOS edited.jpg
    BIOS edited.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 65
  • BIOS edited 2.jpg
    BIOS edited 2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 58
I looked, but don't personally have any idea. :bump:

However I know with Afterburner sometimes I have to hit apply twice to get the settings to stick, as sometimes the settings it makes get screwed up.

I was able to take a collection of BIOSes and test them all out overnight and today. Looks like for some reason, the card still wants to reduce its clocks, even though it's defaulted to something else. I've got it flashed right now to Sapphire's OC Edition BIOS, which seems to be working well. I am able to set the card to 800/1100 in Afterburner, and haven't noticed it switching clocks under full load.... Strange indeed...

I'm thinking it might have to do with the BIOS itself and the Vendor ID. Just a guess.

Back