• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 2600k overclock cool enough for 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obliv10n

Registered
So, I have just assembled most of my new build, and got to overclocking it a few days ago. I was able to get it stable* running at 4.9Ghz @ 1.370 core voltage. The temps are at MAX** 73 degrees for the hottest core, and it idles in the mid 30's. I didn't really mess with many settings except for the core current limit and the CPU core voltage.

My question is simply if a 4.9GHz @ 1.370V at 73 degrees max** load temp is safe for using all the time, for a (hopefully) long time?

My only other question is which subforum should I post pictures of this system in? I didn't modify the case, other than adding pretty parts, so I don't think it would go under case modding, but in a previous post, I promised pictures of the build, and I plan to deliver. :)

*max recorded after having run Prime95 for about 6 hours

**I ran Prime95 overnight with no errors, and 8 passes of IBT on standard settings. if this does not consitute stability in your opinions, please tell me. :shrug:

Well... I'm kind of a noob myself so take what I have to say with a grain of salt... The more experienced guys will come in and give better advice.

Biggest thing I see... It looks like you've got a really nice 2600K... To run Prime95 for 8 hours @ 4.9 on 1.370 Volts is pretty sick!

Those temps however are a bit out of my personal comfort zone... I'd think you may want to look into either backing the OC off for daily computing, or figure out a better cooling solution.

I myself run Intel Burn Test on the Extreme Setting to test stability... (The one thats hidden by a right click of the mouse on the start button of the application) and do not like to see higher than 60-65c.

What are you using for cooling anyway?

Last edited:
So, I have just assembled most of my new build, and got to overclocking it a few days ago. I was able to get it stable* running at 4.9Ghz @ 1.370 core voltage. The temps are at MAX** 73 degrees for the hottest core, and it idles in the mid 30's. I didn't really mess with many settings except for the core current limit and the CPU core voltage.

My question is simply if a 4.9GHz @ 1.370V at 73 degrees max** load temp is safe for using all the time, for a (hopefully) long time?

My only other question is which subforum should I post pictures of this system in? I didn't modify the case, other than adding pretty parts, so I don't think it would go under case modding, but in a previous post, I promised pictures of the build, and I plan to deliver. :)

*max recorded after having run Prime95 for about 6 hours

**I ran Prime95 overnight with no errors, and 8 passes of IBT on standard settings. if this does not consitute stability in your opinions, please tell me. :shrug:

Temps are entirely up to you. I would consider than at the edge of what I would consider accept for me personally. I aim for no more than 75C but like it below 70C. but in the end it is up to you, if you are worried about degrading your stuff you might want to back it down to 50-65C range. But unless you are 24/7 folding or the like you are never going to have temps that high.

I would consider overnight to be stable unless you are folding 24/7. if you are folding 24/7 I would leave it on 24 hours to test stability. even then it might not be stable doing whatever type of DC program you are running. my i7 870 was able to pass 3 days straight of prime 95 but would fail Einstein@home in about 30 hours. so it all depends on what you are doing.

as for where to post pics, I would say either here or here (56k warning). then just link from your other thread to the pics of your system.

Those temps however are a bit out of my personal comfort zone...
Hmm...The 73 degrees was a max after several hours. It didn't even go above 68 using IBT. It only idles in the 30's. If I may ask, what temperatures should I be shooting for?

What are you using for cooling anyway?
I suppose that is an important detail I failed to mention. :eek:
I am using a Corsair H100 in push/pull with 4 Scythe Gentle Typhoons @ 1850 RPM.

EDIT:
@bmwbaxter: ok, thanks for the advice. I actually put a few pictures up since I posted this thread. If you care to see, they are here

You temps are fine just keep it under 80c when load testing you will never run those temps any way just like you were saying.:popcorn::cool:

Sounds good to me.
I generally aim for 70c or less in general use, if you only hit 73c running IBT you're doing great. IBT is nasty.

Sounds good to me.
I generally aim for 70c or less in general use, if you only hit 73c running IBT you're doing great. IBT is nasty.

The strange thing is IBT didn't actually get it as hot as a long time on Prime95. The 73 was after overnight on Prime95. IBT only got to like 68, if I recall correctly. I did 8 passes on standard. I was under the impression that it was, like you said, nasty compared to Prime95. Could it be that IBT simply didn't run enough or on a high enough setting? :shrug:

Did you set the number of threads manually? If I recall correctly the auto setting only runs 4 on HT quads.

Yes I did set the number of threads to 8. I didn't actually know it would only use 4 on the auto setting, but I figured it couldn't hurt. So, it was using all 8 threads. I'm actually on a different computer now, as I wait for the last few components of this build to arrive, but maybe later I will hook it back up, and run IBT again, just to see how hot it runs again.

Hmm, I'm new here and have just gotten a 2600k and P8Z68-V LE not yet built (doing that tonight hopefully) but its nice to see people getting good results.

Personally I don't like anything above 75C for a maximum daily overclock. 80C is my complete max. If temps stay under (especially with IntelBurnIn) 75C then I'd say you are fine. That's also one hell of chip you have.

I say see if you can get 5GHz while staying at or under 1.4v. :)

I say see if you can get 5GHz while staying at or under 1.4v. :)

Hmm...That is a very tempting idea:cool:.

And just to reassure myself that I wasn't remembering my numbers incorrectly, I just ran IBT again for 8 passes, using 8 threads, and standard/auto everything else. The cores reached a max of 62 degrees :bday:. Granted, it IS a bit chillier in my room than last time I tested it mostly because of the time of day, and the open window. Attached is a screenshot of CPU-Z, showing the processor speed, Hardware Monitor with temps, and, well...IBT. I took the screenshot right before the 8th pass finished, because otherwise the core speed reads 1600MHz idle.

EDIT: Been running Prime95 for about 50 minutes, and temps have hit a max of 70-ish. That's warmer than IBT by about 7-8 degrees. Is that normal? I ask because it was my understanding that IBT runs hotter than P95.:shrug:

P.S. You can thank my girlfriend for the computer's name. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• PassingIBTwithflyingcolors.jpg
    PassingIBTwithflyingcolors.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 140
  • RunningWarmerinP95.jpg
    RunningWarmerinP95.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Looks fine to me. long as its under 80 I'm fine with it. plus the odds of hitting the same burn level as prime for 8 hours with even intense gaming seems low.

EDIT: Been running Prime95 for about 50 minutes, and temps have hit a max of 70-ish. That's warmer than IBT by about 7-8 degrees. Is that normal? I ask because it was my understanding that IBT runs hotter than P95.:shrug:

Thats entirely possible with IBT only set to standard...

IBT on Maximum or Xtreme though is the absolute hottest test I've personally found...

In my opinion... If you TRULY want to see how hot things are going to get... Thats how you should do it.

This is also one of the nastiest stability testing programs I've come across. I've seen IBT Xtreme hang on STOCK clocks.

It all comes down to what Soverntear said above though... How hot are you REALLY going to get this thing in daily use? There aren't any daily use programs or even games that will load a CPU like these synthetic tests will.

So it's kind of up to you what your definition of stability is...

Uhhh huh...

:sly::p

no, seriously. My girlfriend was having a major sweet tooth or something, because she said we should name the computer project gummy worms. Then I proceeded to tell here that was stupid thing to name a computer. Then she listed off a bunch of candy, and said, "warheads." So, it was a compromise. XD

no, seriously. My girlfriend was having a major sweet tooth or something, because she said we should name the computer project gummy worms. Then I proceeded to tell here that was stupid thing to name a computer. Then she listed off a bunch of candy, and said, "warheads." So, it was a compromise. XD

Oh, that kind of warhead. I was picturing something much more sinister.

Back