• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 instability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flipz0r

Registered
Hi! I would really need some answers to my problems with the i7 930.
I recently started overclocking and i started of by downloading occt to stress my system. I ran the Linpack test and it failed...that was when i was using 100% stock settings in bios. Then i tried overclocking a bit, i followed some guides and got to 3,8 ghz with these settings:

200 bclk
1203 dram fr
2406 uclk
1,27 vcore
pll v 1,9
ioh v 1,20
ich v 1,20
LLC enabled
cpu spread spectrum disabled
pcie spread spectrum disabled
everything else on auto

With that set up i still failed in Linpack but i finish 1h normal occt test.
I also fired up prime95 and i ran it the whole day, when i got home i had one error on core 4. (Hardware error)

Im not an experienced overclocker and im totally new here so i would appriciate if you could help me to get this thing stable and why does it fail at stock clock? Is linpack good for stress testing? Do i need to bump the vcore up even more? and what about LLC?

Components:
Asus P6X58D-E
Intel i7 930
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram (3 dims)
AMD 6950
Corsair HX 750

Best regards Filip!

without jumping to any conclusions, did you try following this guide that we have linked in the sticky at the top:
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

It was written by one of our members and has done a great job for almost anyone who has followed it.

Couple quick questions: What exact RAM do you have (you didn't mention the speed or model) and what cooler are you using?

I havent followed that guide, but if its good i might try it out. I googled out another guide. Here is the memory: http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/cmx6gx3m3c1600c7.html

And i am using my own custom watercooling loop so the cooling shouldnt be a problem. :)

You could try bumping up the vcore to around 1.3 to see how it turns out.

You may also need some more QPI/VTT as those have to raise together with Bclk.

Definitely give the guide a shot though, it does wonders. Report back if you have any issues while following it or have any questions. myself or the others here would be happy to help.

You could try bumping up the vcore to around 1.3 to see how it turns out.

You may also need some more QPI/VTT as those have to raise together with Bclk.

Definitely give the guide a shot though, it does wonders. Report back if you have any issues while following it or have any questions. myself or the others here would be happy to help.

Thanks so far! I will try the guide later on tonight or maybe tomorrow and see how it turns out :)

Can a low 3.3 rail have anything to do with my cpu being unstable? Cuz bios tells me my 3.3 is at 3.2.....

Hello again guys! Right now im at a lanparty and i really need your help. My computer just keeps crashing in stock clocks....and i cant play anything. Ive flashed a new bios, ive set the bios settings to default, and did a memOK(asus stuff). Do you have any idea of how i can fix this? I really need this to be working now :(

/Filip

temperatures OK? Make sure that you have enough voltage for the memory.

Try re-seating the CPU cooler (maybe it is loose and causing overheating)

Are you getting BSODs? If so, what is the code? If it is flashing by too quickly -- Computer - System Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery and uncheck reboot on system failure.

temperatures OK? Make sure that you have enough voltage for the memory.

Try re-seating the CPU cooler (maybe it is loose and causing overheating)

Are you getting BSODs? If so, what is the code? If it is flashing by too quickly -- Computer - System Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery and uncheck reboot on system failure.

Yeah, temps are nice and cool. and i aint getting bsods really, the computer just freeze and i have to reboot it. The option "automatically restart" is not checked.
I have been running memtest and i am getting errors in there.

Try taking out a stick or two to see if it will run stable.

I took out one stick and so far it looks stable, i havent done any stress testing bcuz im at lanparty but i have played for prob 2 hours now. The acual stick shouldnt be a problem cuz they are all new (2 weeks). Does that mean that my motherboard cant handle three dims?

It shouldn't have a trouble with 3 sticks, but it is possible that one of the sticks is having trouble or you may need to up your qpi/vtt. Did you have different set of ram before hand?

It shouldn't have a trouble with 3 sticks, but it is possible that one of the sticks is having trouble or you may need to up your qpi/vtt. Did you have different set of ram before hand?

No, the ram is identical. What voltage should I try on the qpi/vtt? And nos it have ran linpack for to hours and still going.

Last edited:
So did you just build this machine a few weeks ago? You said that the RAM is only 2 weeks old, I didn't know if you just replaced a set.

I would still (after the lan party of course) run some memtest86+ scans on the memory one stick at a time and in different slots. possible that one of the slots is faulty.

For the QPI/VTT, what is it currently running at? For stock voltage/FSB/etc I would think around 1.3 would be plenty. When I OCed my 920 my QPI got up to around 1.4v with my BClk at 200-210 IIRC.

So did you just build this machine a few weeks ago? You said that the RAM is only 2 weeks old, I didn't know if you just replaced a set.

I would still (after the lan party of course) run some memtest86+ scans on the memory one stick at a time and in different slots. possible that one of the slots is faulty.

For the QPI/VTT, what is it currently running at? For stock voltage/FSB/etc I would think around 1.3 would be plenty. When I OCed my 920 my QPI got up to around 1.4v with my BClk at 200-210 IIRC.

I´ve bought a new set of ram 2 weeks ago which im getting the errors with right now. The rest of the pc is 1 year old.

I tried 1,3 qpi/vtt on stock bios settings and i am getting error in linpack after 15 min. And with only 2 sticks in i could run it for over 6 hours (then i canceled). I will try one stick in the "faulty slot" later tonight.

Now I have tested the last slot for it self aswell. Every stick works, and the third slot works aswell but only when u DONT have more then 2 sticks seated. So as soon as i put in three dims in to my motherboard i get errors.

Hrmm, could try bumping the QPI/VTT up a tiny bit more to around 1.35 or so just to see if it will work.

I assume the previous set worked perfectly fine (and was a 6GB set?)

Hrmm, could try bumping the QPI/VTT up a tiny bit more to around 1.35 or so just to see if it will work.

I assume the previous set worked perfectly fine (and was a 6GB set?)

The last set was an identical set as I have now. I bought new ones bcuz one of my older sticks broke and it was failing in memtest. I will try the higher voltage tomorrow and then i will come back with results!

The last set was an identical set as I have now. I bought new ones bcuz one of my older sticks broke and it was failing in memtest. I will try the higher voltage tomorrow and then i will come back with results!

What do you mean they broke? Are you sure it wasn't your mobo slots? If you bought identical new ones, you would think that it is not your RAM modules, but your board. Your old ones may be good. :)

What do you mean they broke? Are you sure it wasn't your mobo slots? If you bought identical new ones, you would think that it is not your RAM modules, but your board. Your old ones may be good. :)
Yeah. they might have been, but all the slots works when i test them individuelly. So the slots should not be the problem. To me it seems more like some controller that cant handle thriple channel memory

Last edited:
Back