• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No connection to internet (even with super extensive troubleshooting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rehnis

Hello, I just bought and put together a new pc.

The motherboard Im using is a GA-Z68AP-D3. I also installed windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

Now the problem is that Im getting no internet connection at all when plugging in the network cable to the normal LAN slot in the motherboard, it keeps trying to identify the network but just ends up saying we have a problem. Im not very familiar with win 7, been using xp up until a couple a weeks ago.

This is what I have done:

1. I have tried with 2 different cables, thru a router and directly thru the modem (both works on this laptop with w7), so I can be quite sure it is not the cables or the modem.

2. I have tried with 2 different network cards in the new computer and the motherboard integrated nic, all of which give the same error.

3. I have installed the drivers from gigabytes homepage, several times, even tried vista drivers, just gave errors.

4. I have installed ubuntu and tried to connect to internet thru both the onboard nic and one of the pci nics, about the same problem appears no internt connection could be establised after searching for a while.

In windows 7 the "network and sharing center" there is a graphical interface showing my computer, "unidentified network" and then a red X and the internet.

I was able to set up a home network and connect to my other two windows 7 computers and share stuff.

What could block my internet access? Are there any hidden settings to thinker with? I have nothing else installed, no firewall or anything, I tried to disable windows firewall, no change.

The only fault I could imagine would be some motherboard hardware problem? Some bios setup? I have tried to load failsafe preset bios, no change. Could there be a motherboard hardwere error that affect even the two networkscard that I have tried? But how could I then connect to a home network?

I would be awesomely happy for any advice, or tip or anything, I feel kinda stuck since I tried everything I know. Im close to calling it a motherboard fail and sending it back, I would like to avoid that if possible, I ordered the computer from a cheapass online company that will probably be a ***** to change stuff with.

//thanks

*edit
5. I just reset bios, no change
6. I updated bios, no change

Im seriously thinking of sending back the motherboard and buy a new one. Im out of ideas, any input would be welcome.

Last edited:
I would try setting the network adress and gateway manually.

oh, I have done that too. No success, and Im supposed to get one from my modem anyway. Since I have tried both ubuntu and windows 7 I doubt that it has to do with the network settings.

It's not a motherboard fail because you can connect to your other computers in your own local network, right? Are your NIC settings set up to receive a dynamic(DHCP) IP address from your router?

Are there any services in computer management console related to connecting to the web?

Like DreamerBrian said, if you see the other pcs and can communicate, then the hardware is ok.

if both ubuntu and windows see the network, but can't get outside, it is likely the gateway (modem/router). Reset it/them to factory settings and try again.

Back