• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Sata port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moresnowdays

I'm in the middle of a build with a Asus P8Z68- V Pro Gen 3 mobo. I have a 1TB WD caviar Black HDD right now, with intentions of getting a Crucial M4 128 sometime in the near future.

After doing some research around here, I understand that the M4 will one day reside in the Intel Sata6Gb port (Gray). My optical Blu-ray belongs in one of the Sata3Gb ports (Light Blue). Question is on the HDD.

From what I understand there is no point in using a Sata6Gb port on the HDD, even though it says Sata III 6Gb/s in the product description, because it will never throughput faster than 3Gb/s. So I would then put it into one of the four Sata3Gb ports (Light Blue).

What I was wondering, if the above is all correct, would it be better to put the HDD in the Marvel Sata 6Gb (Dark Blue) port? Faster than needed port, but since I don't have another HDD to put it into raid anyway, would the faster port insure enough head room to not bottle neck the HDD at times? Just my curiosity, as I don't know if it's better to have more bandwidth than needed, kinda like getting better performance by not filling a HDD to capacity?

Or, is it better faster/cleaner bios setup to disable the Marvel Sata6Gb (dark blue) since it's not really needed?

Hope all that makes sense, since I may not have the technical background to speak clearly on the matter. It is my first build, but I'm enjoying it very much!

Put the coming SSD on an Intel 6Gbs port. If you can disable the Marvel 6Gbs port altogether...so much the better.

Back