• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 6970 is toast. Pass the butter please :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xfullboost

Registered
HPIM0765.jpg
HPIM0764.jpg
HPIM0767.jpg
HPIM0768.jpg

That little copper strip thats blown off looks pretty bad, right?

I first noticed a problem, when I tried to boot up this morning, my computer would freeze on the windows logo. :eh?: So I removed one of my 6970s (crossfire) and it worked fine, booted right up. I put the other 6970 back in, and the freeze happened just as before.

So i took a closer look at the broken card and found that little surprise. I put it back in my computer by itself and windows would boot just fine, but I'd have lines across my screen and artifacts. It did the exact same thing in a totally different machine.

Bad news is, I don't have a warranty on this particular card. What are my options as far as fixing this card? Can it even be done?

My system is water cooled so its a fair guess that a leak caused this damage. :bang head:

Well if it was just the contact that was broken, I'd say you could probably fix it. But it looks burned, which probably means it was taking too much current and that usually happens when something gets fried (likely scenario if you're water cooling). Try to look at the other components and see if you notice any other damage. If it's the GPU itself, you're kinda hosed. The other components can be replaced fairly easily though.

If it's just the contact, you might be able to get lucky by just cleaning it up. Otherwise you can have someone repair the contact and hope that a bad connection is all that's causing your problems.

Well if it was just the contact that was broken, I'd say you could probably fix it. But it looks burned, which probably means it was taking too much current and that usually happens when something gets fried (likely scenario if you're water cooling). Try to look at the other components and see if you notice any other damage. If it's the GPU itself, you're kinda hosed. The other components can be replaced fairly easily though.

If it's just the contact, you might be able to get lucky by just cleaning it up. Otherwise you can have someone repair the contact and hope that a bad connection is all that's causing your problems.

i dont even know where to start trying to find someone who can fix it. you think geek squad at best buy can?

Clean it up and as a quick first step, try some conductive ink. It is a pen with some kind of silver based conductive adhesive ink and can be found at Radioshack or Frys.

Clean it up and as a quick first step, try some conductive ink. It is a pen with some kind of silver based conductive adhesive ink and can be found at Radioshack or Frys.

thats as cleaned up as i could get it. i used a q-tip and alcohol. just seemed to remove some of the black.

ill look into the conductive ink. i do have some solder paste laying around.

Try the conductive ink next, don't use solder paste. After you're done, use a razor blade or exacto knife and cut between the contacts to make sure they're not bridged.

Try the conductive ink next, don't use solder paste. After you're done, use a razor blade or exacto knife and cut between the contacts to make sure they're not bridged.

right. i'll post an update in a day or two when i get my hands on some conductive paste. thanks:D

i know my XFX can be fix for like $40 if you contact the maker. (but i have a radeon 6950 and a life time warranty so i have no need to fix it for $40)

your best bet see if the maker will fix it for a fee

i know my XFX can be fix for like $40 if you contact the maker. (but i have a radeon 6950 and a life time warranty so i have no need to fix it for $40)

your best bet see if the maker will fix it for a fee

this one is actually a sapphire.

Conductive ink is probably a good way to go. Don't take it to geek squad. Manufacturer is a good place to check, but its unlikely given the damage. Geek squad is definitely not a place to take it though.

If repairing the trace doesn't work, there are a handful of members here and on other reputable forums (including myself), who can take a look at it and try to fix it.

ink and a razor is the best way to go.

clean the channels as best you can as stated above.

Razor between them to make sure they aren't bridged.

Fix the Leak!

well i would check its worth a try

I sent a question over to Sapphire asking if its possible for them to repair my damaged card. I sent the picture of it.

It was my understanding that Sapphire does not do RMAs through the customer, but through the retailers instead. This would be a problem since I did not purchase the card through a retailer!

Update:
HPIM0770.jpg
HPIM0770a.jpg
I cleaned up the trace a bit more with a fiberglass pen.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good! I'd use a razor blade/exacto knife to make sure the pins are not touching each other then give it another shot. If its still busted start looking for fried components

The first three pins are +12V and the forth is GND. Make sure they are not bridged and also check the PCIe lane, probably there is damage too. My first guess can be due to power consumption since they are 3 of 5 pins with +12V on the entire lane. Ink might not be enough to power the card ...

The first three pins are +12V and the forth is GND. Make sure they are not bridged and also check the PCIe lane, probably there is damage too. My first guess can be due to power consumption since they are 3 of 5 pins with +12V on the entire lane. Ink might not be enough to power the card ...

the most damage is between the 3rd and 4th lane. it looks as if some water got in between those two lanes and caused the short, popping off a piece of the 3rd lane.

the leak in my loop was so sneaky. it was between a koolance rotating 45 degree fitting and the top hole of the EK motherboard block. It was tight, but it never made a 100% seal. so the occasional bead of water would form and drop down into the first pci-e slot and cause the short/damage.

I am picking up conductive ink tomorrow. so I'll post my progress then. and we can take it from there whether its working or not.

the most damage is between the 3rd and 4th lane. it looks as if some water got in between those two lanes and caused the short, popping off a piece of the 3rd lane.

the leak in my loop was so sneaky. it was between a koolance rotating 45 degree fitting and the top hole of the EK motherboard block. It was tight, but it never made a 100% seal. so the occasional bead of water would form and drop down into the first pci-e slot and cause the short/damage.

I am picking up conductive ink tomorrow. so I'll post my progress then. and we can take it from there whether its working or not.

You need to check that pci-e slot as well. If something's shorted in that, you'll just fry your card (again).

Subscribed...I love threads like this. Lotsa pics and fixes! :)

That's really why the coolant is usually colored. You put a paper towel in there (just under the block and the rad) and if there's a leak, it shows up right away. Especially with new builds, it takes time to make sure your loop is good. Also, the liquid degasses and you have to add more coolant as its volume shrinks a little.

Back