• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Laptop HELP!!! NEEDED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aya90

Okay my budget is around 2000$ USD or less

I have calculated the amount to build a desktop gaming PC with the spec below

i5 2500K
750w PSU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Asus Z68 V PRO motherboard
GTX 560ti
Asus dvd/rw drive
cooler master haf 922
24" 3D monitor

While i was going to buy the parts , i found out that there are laptops to replace my old desktop too

Asus G74 > CPU is only 2630 something and video card is quite old GTX 560

MSI GT780 > Same as Asus G74 but more goodies

Alienware M17x > too expensive for the best spec

I am currently looking for a laptop that is similar to Alienware m17x spec with the following

2820QM CPU
GTX 580 or 6990

That alienware isn't a bad deal considering alinewares pricing...another choice is a clevo build....checkout xoticpc.com and their P150HM clevo's...you can get a 6990 setup for around 1500.

Honestly though, your best bet is to find a used G73 or G53 with a 460/460m and the 2630QM...yes they will not be as fast as your desktop...but also the 6990 isn't going to hold a candle to your desktop also. The price jump for GPU's in a laptop are huge...the G73 with 460m, 2630qm, and 8GB RAM was 700 new at newegg about 2 weeks ago. You're gonna spend another 1000 dollars for a GPU bump....kinda crazy IMO. Just save the 1000 and upgrade in 2 years vs keeping that one for3 3-4 years

Do you need a gaming laptop? Curious as to why you listed desktop specs. The main issue with the good ones, is you pour so much money in them...just so it can be equal to a desktop that is 1/3 of the price. And then you deal with a smaller screen, lots of heat and poor battery life.

That dell coupon is good but I would consider possibly looking into an Asus notebook. Honestly I don't consider gaming to be done on a notebook for a reasonable price but if you feel like going that route I can tell you spending a little extra on an Asus will give you better support, longer warranty and a higher quality machine.

Asus notebooks come with a two year warranty, first year covers literally anything, spills, shots, drops and running over it with your car, second year covers just parts....

Back