• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build about ready, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zerowp

Been a bit since i built my last computer and I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything. last time i had some odd problems with memory speed, but everything else usually goes alright.

I'm trying to stay around 1000$ for the total price of all these new parts, but i already have:

500gb 7200 rpm HD
flash card reader
a decent dvd rom/burner
Nvidia 560 GTX

what i'm currently looking at buying is:
HAF 932 Tower
Corsairs 750AX
GSkill Ripjaw 8gb (2x4gb)
ASUS P8V68-V Pro Gen3
i7 2600k
Crucial 128gb SSD

A few specific questions i have:
The motherboard: I want to make sure i have the pciE 3.0 for future cards and USB3 slots for the front and back, thats why i went gen3 and its the same price as the last generation of the board, but are there any known problems with that board or with the memory or processor i chose?

The i7 2600k only supports up to 1333 memory? having 1600 speed wouldnt cause any problems though, right?

And i'll probably just stick with the video card i have for now, but would you see much of a boost in getting a 2nd to sli with? last time i SLI'd it didnt seem like much of a jump for the cost

I'll probably just run everything at stock, so i shouldnt need to bother with any special heat sinks or fans... but are there any of either you'd recommend for future proofing or even just reducing the noise from the cases fans? And any minor overclocking i should do that wouldnt require any extra cooling?

On the tower, i know i dont need one that big, but the cooling setup seems really nice. Are there any other smaller ones thatll still fit what i need, that youd reccomend?

Thanks in advance ^_^

:welcome:

Your PC looks great.

The RAM that you have won't cause any issues at 1600, I run mine at 2133 (it's rated at 2200) and it works just fine.

the motherboard should be solid, I haven't heard any issues with it.

Regarding PCI-E 3.0 I doubt at this point that we will have anything that can really take advantage of it. No graphics cards even fill the PCI-E2.0 bandwidth amounts so any cards to do (and take advantage of) 3.0 at any point in the near future would be an anomaly from what we've seen.

About SLI, what resolution do you run at and what games will you be playing? A single 560ti does a great job with running games on the higher-levels of settings at 1920x1080, adding a second one would be great for performance but may not be necessary (I would use the wait-and-see approach before investing in a second one)

If you only run at stock then the stock cooler should be fine. I personally like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for a good solid budget cooler ($30 or less) that will keep it cooler and give you plenty of room for some overclocking in the future when you feel like getting your hands dirty.

The case is great, I actually just used the same one to build a friend's PC and it works really well.

Does the card play everything you need to play? The non-Ti 560 is a mediocre midranged card.

You'd get more out of a 750TX, an ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 (Non-Pro), and a 64GB SSD used with Intel SRT, and dumping all the extra money into another card for SLI, or for a brand new, higher end card.

Back