• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annual Cleaning Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zombie01

Registered
I apologize in advance if these questions are answered in other threads. I'm at work so I really don't have all the time needed to search through them all atm : /

Like the title states it's time to do my annual tear down and clean. I'm going the colored tubing / distilled water route this time instead of the dye.

I have all my parts removed from the comp and currently they've been drained.

It was late last night when I got all this done so I haven't started the actual "cleaning" process yet but this is where the questions come in to play.

1. I bought distilled vinegar as I had read that was needed to clean the blocks. I have copper blocks (cpu / vga) and I was wondering if I can submerge the blocks in vinegar for a long period of time without consequence. I read that most people just do a 25-30 min vinegar clean but it seems in theory that if you let it set longer then thats more time the vinegar can get rid of gunk and what not.

2. Apparently I pierced my radiator with fan screws (D'oh!) so it now has a small leak. Should I just buy a new rad or is there a viable way to fix this?

3. Is it better to heat the vinegar up before submerging the parts in it for cleaning? In a thread I glanced over last night it talked about using boiling water to flush through the system so it "should" be the same for vinegar right?

4. Should I just set my loop up in the sink and run the vinegar through it that way until it looks clean and then run distilled until it's clear again?

Again...thanks a lot guys! Apologies for not being able to look it all up myself (if it's been discussed)

I have not come to my annual cleaning yet but I will sub so i wont need to ask the same questions :D

But I can answer one about the radiator. I punctured a tube in my old MCR220 and I used JB Weld to fix it. Once mixed I used a toothpick to apply it on the hole itself then inside the fins surrounding it. Once dried it worked like a charm with no leaks.

Good luck with your cleaning hope this helps. :thup:

I apologize in advance if these questions are answered in other threads. I'm at work so I really don't have all the time needed to search through them all atm : /

Like the title states it's time to do my annual tear down and clean. I'm going the colored tubing / distilled water route this time instead of the dye.

I have all my parts removed from the comp and currently they've been drained.

It was late last night when I got all this done so I haven't started the actual "cleaning" process yet but this is where the questions come in to play.

Link to a rebuild log:
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

1. I bought distilled vinegar as I had read that was needed to clean the blocks. I have copper blocks (cpu / vga) and I was wondering if I can submerge the blocks in vinegar for a long period of time without consequence. I read that most people just do a 25-30 min vinegar clean but it seems in theory that if you let it set longer then thats more time the vinegar can get rid of gunk and what not.

2. Apparently I pierced my radiator with fan screws (D'oh!) so it now has a small leak. Should I just buy a new rad or is there a viable way to fix this?

Sorry, try to fix it, JB weld is known to work, have a local radiator shop? Or buy a new one.

3. Is it better to heat the vinegar up before submerging the parts in it for cleaning? In a thread I glanced over last night it talked about using boiling water to flush through the system so it "should" be the same for vinegar right?

No. You take every single part out, tear it down, open each block, wash, clean scrub the inside of everything. Don't use boiling water pured in a loop. There is an upper tempurature for this stuff. The build log should help.

4. Should I just set my loop up in the sink and run the vinegar through it that way until it looks clean and then run distilled until it's clear again?

Your rad since you used dyes is going to be the big problem I think. Scrubbing bubbles, CLR, something and MANY fills, shakes, cleans will be needed. DON"T fill the rad with vinegar. It eats brass and copper. You can make your rad water permamnet blue by overdoing it.

Again...thanks a lot guys! Apologies for not being able to look it all up myself (if it's been discussed)

Back