• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA1155 Best Motherboard Out There??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Of the two you have listed...

The EVGA is the clear winner in the performance category.

It's Z68 Chipset allows several advantages over the P67 on the Sabertooth.

As for whether either is particularly "Killer"... Thats open to opinion.

Do you have a specific budget you are looking to stay around for the MoBo?

No, dont really have a budget - after reading some reviews on newegg about the EVGA board, it seems like people were having lots of issues ..

The best would be the ASUS Maximum IV Extreme-Z, the Gigabyte Z68X-UD7, or the Gigabyte G1 Sniper2. However...they're all unecessary for normal people.

Unless your planning on benchmarking, an ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 is perfect for most people. Will take that chip to it's max for a reasonable 24/7 OC. The more expensive boards are for the more extreme OCers and the benchers.

Last edited:
Yes, IB will fit. IB will fit 85% of Z68 boards. However, a lot of them will lose SLI/CFX support due to not having PCIe 3.0. The GEN3 boards take IB and will keep SLI/CFX support.

So, if I upgrade now for Z68 chipset, I'd rather choose Gen3 boards, r8? And one more thing, sorry for this question, really don't know what is CFX? :chair:

Last edited:
I would recommend against the sabertooth since it actually does not overclock very well compared to others, the armor actually suffocates the board. Compared to the Evga z68 the evga is far more KILLER.

Right. CFX is shorthand for CrossfireX, AMD's version of SLI.

SLI (NVIDIA) and CrossfireX (AMD) are the names for using multiple video cards in a single system and linking them together for added performance. It's not always 100% (closer to 80% I think) and you typically want IDENTICAL cards.

I would recommend against the sabertooth since it actually does not overclock very well compared to others, the armor actually suffocates the board. Compared to the Evga z68 the evga is far more KILLER.

So you mean if I upgrade my mobo, EVGA z68 boards will be my best bet? :)

Right. CFX is shorthand for CrossfireX, AMD's version of SLI.

SLI (NVIDIA) and CrossfireX (AMD) are the names for using multiple video cards in a single system and linking them together for added performance. It's not always 100% (closer to 80% I think) and you typically want IDENTICAL cards.

If I have a GTX 560 OC of gigabyte but want to pair it with EVGA GTX 560 (Super overclock), is it ok? I've read some forum that they pair two different manufacturer but the same model.

What's your current motherboard? Sandy Bridge doesn't need a great board to overclock, this might just be a complete waste of money if you already have a decent board...

What's your current motherboard? Sandy Bridge doesn't need a great board to overclock, this might just be a complete waste of money if you already have a decent board...

Frankly, I've got an old system here. Latest of tech come late here in the Philippines. r8 now i've got some gigabyte ep43-us3l mobo with a Q8400 Cpu and a Gigabyte GTX 560 oc gpu. I bought some thermalright hr-02 macho, thinking that i can overclock my cpu but haven't yet because I;m thinkin twice that maybe I'll get my cpu damage. Thinking of OC my GPU too, but still haven't. Then I thought maybe I'll just upgrade to Z68, buy some new cpu (SB is easy to OC they say) some ram, and add a gpu. what do you think? :confused:

Oh, gotcha. You're probably bottlenecked by that CPU right now. GTX560 should be able to handle most modern games on mid settings, depending on what games you're looking to play.

I'd probably go with the ASRock Extreme3 GEN3 in your case. There's no need for an expensive motherboard if you're not looking for high overclocks.

Oh, gotcha. You're probably bottlenecked by that CPU right now. GTX560 should be able to handle most modern games on mid settings, depending on what games you're looking to play.

I'd probably go with the ASRock Extreme3 GEN3 in your case. There's no need for an expensive motherboard if you're not looking for high overclocks.

I'm a video editor/motion grpahics artist that always use adobe apps, some 3D apps too. Always multitasking, rendering/encoding HD videos etc. Is 2500K will be the r8 cpu for me? 2600K is just to expensive. :(

You're the type of person that would see great benefits from the 2600K over the 2500K. But if you can't afford it, the 2500K isn't a slouch by any means.

You're the type of person that would see great benefits from the 2600K over the 2500K. But if you can't afford it, the 2500K isn't a slouch by any means.

I found in that ASRock Extreme3 GEN3 is a lot cheaper than Asus P8Z68-V pro/Gen3. but what's the difference of this two boards? and why is it asus is too expensive? BTW, Thanks for helping me. Really appreciate your effort in suggesting what's good for me. :thup:

No problem. :thup:

The major difference is the VRM section of the motherboard. This is the power delivery system to the motherboard, which will be much better on the more expensive board. The bigger VRM sections (all the stuff under the heatsink around the socket) are for bigger and bigger overclocks. Your motherboard choice really depends on what kind of overclock you want to hit. 4.5GHz is fine for both boards, but 5GHz (which you might not be able to do on air cooling), I'd go for the ASUS. However, I doubt the HR-02 could keep up with the heat at the higher OCs, so I'd say go for the Extreme3.

Back