• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best computer speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

What are the best computer speakers from $250-$350? And no, I am not getting a headset I hate them and do not want to go deaf.

I've heard that these https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-...d=1516714154&sr=8-5&keywords=Audioengine&th=1

are the best overall (and only $50 over budget!) , but reviews, questions, and other feedback from various sites leads me to believe there is better. I recall a few reviews saying that these were the best 'a year ago' but the review was posted 4 years ago :L

Priority

1. Sound quality
2. Bass
3. Decibels
4. Everything else

Got any clues?

You all have never led me astray before =P

I assume you have something more than the sound off the Hero to take advantage of them, right?

I assume you have something more than the sound off the Hero to take advantage of them, right?

Is that necessary for this budget range? I was of the impression that modern integrated sound was pretty high quality and that dedicated sound cards are all but extinct.

Modern integrated sound is solid, however if you are buying $300+ speakers, I would imagine to get the most out of them you would want a better sound card. I'm certain you will see...oops, hear some improvements though regardless. Try it and see. If you didn't get the improvement you are looking for, perhaps then look into a sound card.

"Good" and "cheap" are very relative. On the budget given, the best quality setup would be some good speakers connected to a used amplifier/receiver.

Just go digital from the start. A DAC that is noticeably better than decent onboard is going to be $100 or more. And good luck trying to find an off the shelf analog input amplifier that is good quality and cheap. Good digital amplifiers are actually cheaper because there's far more demand in the consumer space. In fact, you might be able to find an old receiver with S/PDIF but not HDMI for cheap at places like Goodwill. Amplifier technology has not advanced that much in the last 15 or so years so buying used is a good way to save on cost.

Is that necessary for this budget range? I was of the impression that modern integrated sound was pretty high quality and that dedicated sound cards are all but extinct.

Modern integrated sound is solid, however if you are buying $300+ speakers, I would imagine to get the most out of them you would want a better sound card. I'm certain you will see...oops, hear some improvements though regardless. Try it and see. If you didn't get the improvement you are looking for, perhaps then look into a sound card.

A dedicated card is very likely using the exact same chipset as a dozen different motherboards. The only difference might be how isolated it is from other circuitry, since EMI causes noise. The last two motherboard I've had though (Asrock 990FX Extreme9 and Gigabyte X99-Ultra Gaming) have had no issues at all with EMI noise, even with tons of USB stuff plugged in and actively moving data and pulling power, so yes. Discrete sound cards are only needed if your motherboard is proven to have EMI issues.

"Good" and "cheap" are very relative. On the budget given, the best quality setup would be some good speakers connected to a used amplifier/receiver.

Just go digital from the start. A DAC that is noticeably better than decent onboard is going to be $100 or more. And good luck trying to find an off the shelf analog input amplifier that is good quality and cheap. Good digital amplifiers are actually cheaper because there's far more demand in the consumer space. In fact, you might be able to find an old receiver with S/PDIF but not HDMI for cheap at places like Goodwill. Amplifier technology has not advanced that much in the last 15 or so years so buying used is a good way to save on cost.

Maybe I'm a deaf plebian, but my Pyle PFA300 sounds pretty good with a pair of Sony SSCS5. Clear tones all the way across the spectrum (Celldweller for low, Liquid Tension Experiment for mid, Max Tundra for high) at decent volumes, at least to my chemo-damaged ears. 3.5mm input from motherboard audio to RCA-splitter input on the amp.

Sony SSCS5 are $118 a pair on Amazon right now, and the PFA300 is $30. You'll need speaker wire if you don't have it already between the amp and the speakers, and a 3.5mm to RCA splitter (there are a million varieties, but they are oddly all the exact same price). Way under your budget, though :)

Last edited:
That's not remotely in the league of what OP is asking for. Those are 8 watt sattelites. OP is looking for <5-10x that> watt bookshelves.

My whole post was trying to make a point that what one thinks is best may not be what someone else thinks is best. My saying I was happy with the X-530s was just that what I'm happy with. It was NOT meant as a suggestion for what he should get.

Last edited:
My whole post was trying to make a point that what one thinks is best may not be what someone else thinks is best. My saying I was happy with the X-340s was just that what I'm happy with. It was NOT meant as a suggestion for what he should get.

Bigger bookshelves are nearly universally objectively better than Logitech's stuff. Not saying your speakers are bad, or that you're deaf, or insulting your budget or anything, that's just how it is. OP listed "sound quality" as #1. Sound reproduction with current technology depends on appropriate surfaces for vibration, and satellites with nothing but 2" drivers are just not going to measure up to full-range bookshelves for that (nor for his #4 of "bass").

I recently got a set of Kanto YU4 speakers for my system. They're pretty similar to the Audioengines but a little cheaper. They serve their purpose as a nice compact bookshelf setup that plugs into my PC, Blu-ray player, and console with the option of Bluetooth pairing. The 70W RMS is definitely loud enough to annoy the adjoining apartments. I'm no audiophile, but audio quality seems to be fine and seemed to fare well in reviews. Probably the biggest (obvious) downside is that the 4" drivers just can't provide much in the way of bass. Its not bad, but it starts to drop off around 120 Hz and is quite anemic at the 60 Hz the manufacturer claims. Thankfully it's got a sub-out, so its easy enough to just run a cable to my sub to reinforce the low end :)

The YU4 is going for about $300 on Amazon right now. The next model up (Kanto YU6) is only $25 more and has 5.25" drivers and a 100W RMS amp. Might be worth it, though (coincidentally) I picked up my sub second-hand for $25...

JigPu

Oh crap I didnt see all of the new replies to this, I ended up going with the A5+ after researching further over several days, about the speakers themselves and about the company. Interesting, apparently a lot of their employees (Audioengine) were former Harmon Kardon employees... Hmm...

I will report back on sound quality directly out of the 3.5 jack integrated sound. As for a subwoofer, I've got an Altec Lansing one, a Klipsch one (from the Promedia 2.1, though I cant remember if it works or not) so I'll add one of them if neccesary. The speakers are due here on Feb 5, and I hope I dont make a fool out of myself and not have enough room on my desk.

For reference I am currently using $100 Creative Gigaworks TII speakers (from Microcenter!)

Pretty happy with their quality, but needs moar bass and decibels.

I love my audioengines. I threw my phone and it hit my right speaker and tore the rubber diaphram surrounding the actual speaker part. Used some rhino glue and it still rocks fine. The newer larger more expensive ones are pretty sweet. The s8 sub goes down to 27hz which is pretty decent. I just recently started using the d1 dac for volume control exclusively and now only use the remote when I'm in bed or want to sleep 'em. When I recently hooked them back up I forgot to switch the sub on and could barely tell. I bought 2 shelf brackets and now they're wall mounts. Supposed to be 6'' away from walls. Mine are almost 5. Close enough.

I have the Logitech THX 2.1 speakers and I really like them. Looking forward to how you like the A5+.

I love my A5+ (bamboo), they sound great! Made moving on from my klipsch promedia 5.1 ultras easy when the bash chip started humming. The Klipsch still get used in the garage when working on vehicles though.

+1 on the Kanto's

just got a pair of YU4's for my office and are very happy with them, with the Kanto sub I have to think these would have a nice vibe to them

Had the speakers several days now, pretty happy. Would write a better review but on mobile atm

Hit me though, my Radeon R9 295X2 has DisplayPort out. Thus, through some crazy feat of engineering, AMD managed to cram two GPUs, the traces and a sound chip on this card. So how is the sound chip on GPUs these days? Better than Mobo? worse? Its this type of crap that fascinates the hell out of me. we went from needing a card for 2D graphics, a separate one for 3d, a sound card, to all of that being on one card... wow.

Had the speakers several days now, pretty happy. Would write a better review but on mobile atm

Hit me though, my Radeon R9 295X2 has DisplayPort out. Thus, through some crazy feat of engineering, AMD managed to cram two GPUs, the traces and a sound chip on this card. So how is the sound chip on GPUs these days? Better than Mobo? worse?

Exactly the same.

Back